Parsley recipes wanted, also GINGER

quercus

Sprout
Reaction score
My vegie garden is not doing well. The chickens WILL eat the seedlings as they come up.

I do have a lovely lot of parsley though. Does anyone have a good recipe? I can do the parsley in white sauce, but thats it.

I also have a nice pile of ginger root that grew after planting a bit of ginger in the border. Any suggestions? All I can think of is in Asian type curries.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Personally I think parsley freezes (minced, in ice cube trays) much better than it dries - the dried stuff doesnt stay very parsleyish, to me.

One thing that uses LOTS o parsley is tabbouleh. I do not have a recipe handy - I usually just kind of put it together til it tastes and looks right - but www.allrecipes.com would surely have some to choose from.

Parsley can also be put, in significant quantity if you like, into potato salads, green salads, with boiled new potatoes, scrambled egg, or into salsas. It can also be put in smaller quantities into practically anything.

My mother is Pennsylvania Dutch and although I do not entirely share her view that parsley is a vegetable, I *am* (consequently) accustomed to finding it in considerable amounts in all sorts of things and would call it at least a sometimes partial vegetable :p

I'd use GOOD fresh ginger for Asian dishes, mainly, myself (stirfried or not). But if I had too much for that and was looking around for tasty things to absorb it, two really good candidates would be to candy/crystallize it (which is quite easy if you like that sort of thing, and if your weather is not so perpetually humid to make it impossible) or to make large batches of ginger tea (is good iced), or ginger-and-fruit punch as per the following:

Ginger Soft Drink (from Sundays at the Moosewood REstaurant cookbook)

6 c boiling water
1 c grated peeled fresh gingerroot (I don't peel it, I just make sure
it is clean; and I often use more)
1 c sugar or honey
2 tsp whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 c fresh lime or lemon juice (these need not be citrus juices; any)
1 c orange juice (other fairly tart juice is fine too )
8 c cool water

Pour boiling water over grated gingerroot, sugar, cloves and cinnamon in a large nonreactive pot or bowl (enamel, glass or stainless). Cover and set aside in a warm place for at least an hour (I put it on the back deck, in the sun, with a glass lid on the bowl).

Strain the liquid thru a fine sieve or cloth. Add the juices and water. Set aside in a warm place ('back onto the deck!) for another hour or so. Gently strain the liquid again, taking care NOT to disturb the sediment at the bottom. (Translation b/c recipe is unclear: strain it into a clean container but stop pouring before you get to the cloudy glop at the bottom - *that* gets discarded). Store refrigerated in a large nonreactive container (I use a gallon glass sun-tea container)

Serve warm, chilled or on ice, either as is or diluted with water or sparkling water (or with iced tea! sez me)

Have fun :)

Pat

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Parsley is also used with ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan for manicotti filling.

I use ginger for all sorts of sautees and stir fries, also I make a gingery salad dressing by grating it. (Basically it's a homemade vinaigrette with that added.)

Ginger is great in soups:

Any Oriental-style soup. With, or without, meat or chicken; veggies, soy/tamari, ginger, garlic, toasted sesame seed oil etc.

You can make a quick soup with broth, ginger, garlic and soy optional, with Thai noodles. I like broccoli in it.

I sometimes put a slice in a little water, plus a teaball with a splinter of cinnamon, and some cardamom seeds. Heat and steep a bit. Sweeten with vanilla sugar. (grind a bean with sugar.) When you need to relax, it's a quick way to.

Are you growing it? :)

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
For basic, run of the mill, upset tummy, nothing beats a cup of ginger tea. I also saute garlic and ginger and then throw shrimp in the pan and saute until done, then sprinkle with a little seasoned salt. I also bake salmon in orange juice and soy sauce, with a little ginger, garlic and sesame oil on top.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I almost forgot my secret barbeque sauce ingredient.

When I make chicken smothered in barbeque sauce in the oven, I put slices of fresh ginger between the pieces of chicken before pouring the sauce over, and baking. :)

emmak

Leafing Out
Reaction score
quercus said:
My vegie garden is not doing well. The chickens WILL eat the seedlings as they come up.

I do have a lovely lot of parsley though. Does anyone have a good recipe? I can do the parsley in white sauce, but thats it.

I also have a nice pile of ginger root that grew after planting a bit of ginger in the border. Any suggestions? All I can think of is in Asian type curries.
Giada de Laurentis has a marinade for steak on skewers with tomatoes. The marinade is definitely parsley based, and it's terrific. It's in her book called Giada at home, and you can surely find it on foodnetwork.com It's a delicious marinade!

fl_deb

Sprout
Reaction score
Oh my,

:ep

I can't believe noone has mentioned ginger candy (made the same way as old fashioned sliced citrus candies) and there are some Thai Food recipes for chicken that use ginger.

Edited b/c I fat fingered a key! or I can't spell. you choose!

Latest posts