Pea help???

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have tried to grow peas several times before. They were pathetic because I started too late, the weather got too hot, and I was lucky to get enoug peas to put a few on top of my salad.

This year I planted early, the weather has stayed pretty cool, and my pea plants are from 2-3' tall. The problem? Not a SINGLE FLOWER!

So what did I do wrong??

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah maybe you should wait a few days their probably not ready to put flowers yet.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They probably will just start blooming out soon. I woke up this morning to Green bean blooms...totally thought it was too soon, what a surprise! :ep My squash started blooming a couple of days ago, we have had a lot of rain at night then warm days, they must have liked that. We did not try peas this year.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi wifezilla :frow

They are just not yet mature enough !! Patience my friend! :D I always reckon on Just under my shoulder height (& I am 5' 4" tall). You usually get a few flowers a bit sooner. I think this year everything is much slower & later developing.

They will get there soon. I can understand your longings though -- I am the same :ya :weee :weee :drool Mine get eaten (by me) in the garden, beside the stand of peas --YUM, YUM...........!! :frow

Your time WILL COME........... :ep !

:rose Hattie :rose

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Usually I got flowers when the plants were only about a foot tall. That is why I am baffled. Maybe I have just never seen a healthy pea plant before...LOLLOLOLOL

If no flowers by next week I will report back.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with the others as they are probably right. I've learned that patience is often a good thing, especially in a garden.

Did you plant them in an area unusually rich in nitrogen? My reference says to not feed them a lot of nitrogen. It does not say why, which I don't like, but certain crops will spend more energy producing foilage than fruit in a nitrogen-rich soil. I don't know if peas is one of them.

What I'd kind of expect may have happened (see how I waffle) is that the peas were in a nitrogen-rich soil and encountered great growing conditions due to the cool weather and spent energy growing foilage instead of flowering, so they are bigger than normal before they start to flower. Here's hoping you wind up with a great crop. :fl

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used duck poo compost in that bed, so it could be high in nitrogen. If that is the issue, how do I encourage some flowers to come out?

Latest posts