Peanuts

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to grow peanuts? I ordered some, and they supposedly can grow in the north (I'm in WI), as long as they have four months of frost-free weather. So, should I start them inside first, then transplant, or just sow them outside maybe in early May? We should be frost-free from at least mid-May through Mid-September. Any thoughts, comments, experiences with peanuts out there?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried growing some last year, i think i planted too late though. I'm going to get them planted earlier this time i have the variety Jumbo Virginia Peanut, it looks to grow well in northern areas. As long as they have at least 4 frost-free months you should have a good harvest. I would direct seed them once all danger of frost has passed.

Good Luck! ;)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Be aware that IME they need four months of HOT, not just four months of technically-frostfree.

When I was a kid just a few minutes north of Phila. PA, we never had any real success with peanuts, nor did my mother when she was a kid in Lancaster Co. PA.

Still worth a try, of course!

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted some seeds last year. I tried to start them indoors and not a one sprouted! :barnie I bought the seeds and nada. I did have one plant sprout years ago when I lived in Calgary. A squirrel had "planted" a peanut in a potted plant and I pulled it out thinking it was a weed. It didn't survive replanting and the squirrel must have given up gardening! :lol:

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I used raw peanuts from the grocery. Wait till fall and pull up the whole plant, let hang for around 2 wks to dry out and there you go. Do it yourself "Planters Peanuts"

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am in Alabama and we planted 3, and 2 sprouted up. we just transplanted them in a old wash tub. My niece that is 3yrs old brought and peanut home to plant, she eat 3 and planted 1 in the Flower garden, she thinks it is growing. Momma dug it out and did not know it...ooooops. Thats why we planted them so she can see them grow. Momma's daddy grew them on our place years ago. and Sugar cane.

I know I am not help to ya yankees! :D

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've grown them several times.In Mississippi,we have plenty of heat,so they are fairly easy to grow.Unless you have a lot of garden space to dedicate to them,I wouldn't plant them because they take a long time to mature (110-120 days),therefore tying up valuable space for a long time.

Another drawback:mice,rats and ground squirrels (chipmonks) love them and will decimate them in short order.

Andy J

Latest posts