Peony planting questions

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've never grown peonies before, but this year I got three bare roots from The Home Depot.

If I plant the bare roots early enough (say, March-early April), is there a possibility they might bloom this year? I feel like I heard somewhere that if they grow enough roots by blooming time there is a chance they might bloom first year. Is this true?

Also, exactly how early can you plant them? I'm in Zone 6.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Possibly, but they should have been planted last Fall. You should have great success with them. They are easy-peasy and I have a great big peony bush started with a bulb from Dollar General.
If you want to, plant them right now. They Are perennials and I am also in zone 6. I suggest full sun.
Every year I keep meaning to move one peony that the previous owners planted in the north shade of a big tree.
It really needs more sun, bc it has never gotten as full as the other peonies that I have.

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Possibly, but they should have been planted last Fall.
They only sell them in the spring where I live. I would have to save them until fall or purchase some from online.
If you want to, plant them right now. They Are perennials and I am also in zone 6. I suggest full sun.
Ok, I will plant them now. Thanks for your advice!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never grown peonies before, but this year I got three bare roots from The Home Depot.

If I plant the bare roots early enough (say, March-early April), is there a possibility they might bloom this year? I feel like I heard somewhere that if they grow enough roots by blooming time there is a chance they might bloom first year. Is this true?

Also, exactly how early can you plant them? I'm in Zone 6.
I absolutely love peonies!