Pepper variety

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is about the straightest damn plant I've ever grown/seen, and I have no clue what it is outside of being a pepper

P1090385.jpg

And on each leaf node it's sprouting.. well I guess you'd call it a sucker, but I guess I'll wait to see what it turns into.

P1090386.jpg

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going to say that it's either Capsicum baccatum or Capsicum frutescens due to the slight "fuzz" on the leaves and the look of the stem. It doesn't look like the most common species (C. annuum) to me. We'll get a better idea when it flowers. Knowing the species will help to keep this variety pure if you so wish to.

@flowerweaver @Pulsegleaner - what do you two think? I'd be interested to hear from the experts.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm an expert on beans, not peppers. The hair and upright nature makes me want to say something like a rocoto (its species names IS pubescens, which means "hairy" and some types ARE called "tree peppers" so they are probably rather upright stemmed.) But since I assume you planted this as seed; if it WAS a rocoto, you'd definitely know (unlike most pepper species, the seeds of pubescens are black.) When it flowers you'd know for sure (pubescens flowers are purple, not white, and are fragrant)

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess the "hairy" is relative, because right next to this plant is one of my Vietnamese Black Dragons which are what I think of when someone says "hairy"

P1090404.JPG

We'll be watching its progress, Sprig.....er...if you will show us, that is.:)

I absolutely will.

Sorry, I'm an expert on beans, not peppers. The hair and upright nature makes me want to say something like a rocoto (its species names IS pubescens, which means "hairy" and some types ARE called "tree peppers" so they are probably rather upright stemmed.) But since I assume you planted this as seed; if it WAS a rocoto, you'd definitely know (unlike most pepper species, the seeds of pubescens are black.) When it flowers you'd know for sure (pubescens flowers are purple, not white, and are fragrant)

HAHA! yeah, the seeds were absolutely not black :).

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
So probably not a pubescens. I suppose theoretically there could be a bit of the DNA in there. Despite what I have traditionally been told (that rocoto won't cross with any other pepper) I have been informed that it on occasion can. But I think the crosses still have black seed (or at least seed that is browner than the ivory bone of "normal" peppers) so it'd have to be a REALLY tiny amount. So we are probably looking at some other sort.

Latest posts