Ph for square foot garden method

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I read over and over and over about how important it is have the right ph for different types of plants but am at a loss as to how to accomplish this when using the square foot method in raised beds. Most of my beds are 4'x4' and I grow as many as 6 or 8 varieties of vegetables in that one bed. Soooo, question how do I make all those plants happy?

I've been pretty successful without ever having even checked the ph but I'm sure my production could be better.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If your soil falls between 6 and 7 on the pH scale I would think you would grow just about anything well.

I have a hard time imagining how you could possibly adjust the pH for every individual square foot in a bed to suit the particular nuance of each vegetable. What then happens the next time you plant that section with a different vegetable?

Since you say you have been successful growing in the past, I would suggest you do what's always worked for you. :)

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Soooo, question how do I make all those plants happy?

Adjust soil pH to 6.71439 ;)

Kidding aside, an ever so slightly acidic soil helps with mineral uptake, but a lot of us have slightly acidic rain and are getting soil that decomposes into an acidic state anyway.

Is there anything unusual or noteworthy about the soil you're using?

Latest posts