Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The olive trees are beginning to form flower buds and it is only January. I guess they just can't wait for spring. :rolleyes: Me either. ;)
12016.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not bad for New York in the winter. Still, I can tell the sun is getting stronger and staying longer. I imagine the plants notice too. Your olive trees never went into winter mode anyway, did they?

Your winter has been so mild for most of the cold season, there was little reason for them to notice the weather. I hope you don't get too much bad weather coming up.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not bad for New York in the winter. Still, I can tell the sun is getting stronger and staying longer. I imagine the plants notice too. Your olive trees never went into winter mode anyway, did they?

Your winter has been so mild for most of the cold season, there was little reason for them to notice the weather. I hope you don't get too much bad weather coming up.

The trees are in a grow tent and I did my best to provide winter conditions by controlling the photoperiod, watering and feeding, however most of them did not go dormant. I really wish they could have waited till they were outdoors again. There is one variety, Picholine, that is flowering for the first time. I read that they flower in their forth year and this is its forth year. It is now cold, but we have not had the sub zero temperatures that we normally get this time of year, thank God.:fl

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never had any luck with forced dormancy periods either though that was with animals.

And Im just hoping for a normal start to spring and a good ole fashioned hot summer this year