Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Masoud

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hoodat,
Only one out of 6 plants flowered for me! A grower told me the summers are too short in the northern states for ginger to mature adequately. I imagine your growing season(s) in San Diego should be ideal for ginger.
Masoud

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, Masoud! That is so beautiful! You are certainly doing great things in your zone 5 greenhouse. I love tenders, but have lost most of them over the past 5 years due to wintering over problems.

And behind the ginger? That striking blue-ish, is that Plumeria?

Masoud

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Smart,
I use my unheated, insulated garage to winter deciduous tender plants. There, the temps normally stay above freezing. Some of my plants stay in the basement for six to seven months. In the greenhouse, I mostly keep plants that can be cajoled in to blooming in winter.

The plant in background with blue flowers is a streptocarpella. It makes a fantastic houseplant that is almost ever-blooming. Here is a better view:
image.jpg

I have two plumerias, though. They have not ever bloomed!

Cat,
My gingers are not the culinary type. I planted them as ornamentals!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, it's nice to see you have rabbits again. Is the one on the left, the kind you had before and called blue something? I can't remember the breed.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just about to pull off when I noticed Rosie and Gilligan staring at me - took this through the windshield - not great, but I liked how the trees and fence framed them
DSCF0210.JPG

Latest posts