Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love your violets, Carol. In parts of my yard I consider them to be weeds, but such lovely weeds that I seldom do more than try to eradicate them from the flower beds and leave them in the yard and woods. Those freckled violets are different and pretty.

:loveJack-in-a-pulpit is a neat flower. There are so many different varieties -- such interesting shapes and sizes. I am (we are?) borderline for growing them. I had a stand that came back four years, but died out. :( Now I can enjoy watching them in your garden.:pop

You must have a lovely place for a shade garden if you have a fern bed. :drool As you know, shady places are my weakness. :drool

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, I live in an old house in the old part of town. It came with Iris, peony, fern and lily-of-the valley. They are all going along pretty good for their age. I do need to dig and get rid of some LOL as it is taking over the front bed. The fern are on the north of the house by the front porch. DH brought the Jack in a pulpit home from a walk In the woods years ago and plopped it into the fern bed. It loved it there. I let the violets run wild even in the flower beds, they make good filler while I try to get REAL flowers established! Our yard is small but shady. Although since we lost a tree and the neighbor cut back his overhanging maple tree it is not as shady in that part of the yard and some plants are struggling.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I
I don't even know what 30 acres look like! But I do know what a postage stamp looks like. :D

I know this is crazy but I sometimes wish I was rich and could go around the country helping you guys for a couple of weeks in your gardens!

Mary

Mary, I just want you to remember that my place is right on the way to anybody elses.:D So I'll get you all limbered up for the rest of your "vacation" around the country. You can thank me later. ;)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Neat violets, Carol! I've never seen one like that before.
Neither have I , but they are here every spring along with the dark and light purple, the white and the speckled. I will have to pick a bunch and post the photo later. They really are sweet.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Neither have I , but they are here every spring along with the dark and light purple, the white and the speckled. I will have to pick a bunch and post the photo later. They really are sweet.

I got the speckled violet from a friend, years ago, she called them 'Freckles'. I have a few different ones too, love them, you can pull them or leave 'em and call 'em a flower... or even pull a bunch when they're done flowering, they will always be back. :)

Latest posts