Pictures

newchickmom09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They are soo pretty!

My iris have never bloomed yet this year. :somad I don't think that they like there spot. The leaves are growing like crazy but no blooms. They only get the morning sun so maybe that is the problem.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very pretty!

The picture of the low-growing Impatiens are in just the right location.

I know that they are grown in gardens most everywhere and are very popular. But, they don't do so well here :/.

It seems that the dry air just "attacks" the blooms! They last just a very short time and the plant tends to look as tho' it is "speckled" with color . . . certainly not, that it is covered with colorful flowers. If you get close you often see that they are covered with little, shriveled up blossoms.

I know that others elsewhere pay a pretty heavy price for their humidity but here where the humidity is currently 18%, things are fairly typical for this time of year/day and 87F. I'm comfortable but, I can't think of where there's an Impatien anywhere hereabouts . . .

Steve
The Rudbeckia will soon burst into bloom.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just a reminder--It's not TOO late to move your iris to a new spot. ALSO, they are very hardy and you can even use a knife to cut them apart. They must be separated every 3-5 years so that they don't crowd each other. It's on my list to do so this weekend, and I thought you might like to know. (This is because I just watched last week's Illinois Gardener http://will.illinois.edu/ig and they talked about separating irises, too.)
BTW, a few weeks ago they began their show by telling the viewers that everybody who lives in Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Indiana could learn stuff on their show. It was funny that the very last caller came from...Ohio!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Breeders have been creating some amazing Iris lately!!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
digitS' said:
Very pretty! Iris are probably my favorite flower :). I wish they were having a little easier time of it in my yard right now. With frequent rain, and not the sunniest locations, some of them are toppling over right now :/.

Steve
Steve, at the end of season pick up some of those thin wire garden fences. They'll be clearancing them around October, and if you buy green ones you can stick them in the ground right in FRONT of your iris. They will support the stems but be invisible 20 ft or more away. You can measure NOW the height that you'll need. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I can measure SOON, Ducks - that was written in June and I don't even see a spike on the dwarf iris yet ;).

I really should get one of those fences for the Oriental Poppies tho'. They are already having a rough time of it right now with all the wind. They are also in a shady location and will start soon with upright blooms . . . then flop over :/.

Maybe I'll finally get around to cutting that little picket fence I've got so that it fits around the poppies. White - it won't be invisible but it should be better than poppy-orange flowers laying down in the yard.

Steve :rainbow-sun

Latest posts