Planted fall potatoes today

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to expect, but I went ahead and planted 3 buckets with potatoes. If fall harvest doesn't work here, it's not a huge deal because I'm going to plant more in the spring anyway, but I thought I'd try. . . :fl

dinkadoo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Let us know how they are doing from time to time. We here in S.C. can usually only plant for spring harvest. The old time rule of thumb that my father always used was to "plant only on the dark of the moon in Feburary" and we always had new potatoes in time for the first string bean harvest. Don't know if you folk in your zone do this, but we always "chit" the seed potatoes before we plant. This simply means letting them sprout in a dark place till the sprouts are one-half inch long. This gives us folks a head start in cold ground. Hope yours do well.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, Dinkadoo, I put them near a window with lots of light (no direct sun) and let them sprout. When I planted them today the sprouts were about 1/3 inch. We'll see what happens.

Kristi, I love experiments, too, but I often wonder if I ever learn enough from them to make them worthwhile!! Haha. All I can say is I keep my husband shaking his head. :hu

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, they sure do! That's one of the reasons my DH loves me so much. That and the fact that I am so darn gorgeous! LOLOLOLOL

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I want to plant spuds this year, but ha! I don't know WHEN! Texas really screws with my "gardening" brain. I guess I should do some research...
110 forecasted for today....probably not a good day to start much of anything...

Latest posts