Planted Half the Garden Yesterday!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I started hardening off my tomato seedlings Friday, and spent all weekend taking them in and out. Last night was their first night outside and they looked GREAT this morning! If its not raining tonight I'll plant them when I get home.

Yesterday I put in:

Alaska Peas - 3 12' rows

Green Beans (Challenger I think is the name?) - 6 12' rows

Table Dainty summer squash - 3 "hills" which are more like evenly spaced patches than hills

Musquee de Provence squash - 8 seeds in a large patch

Giant Pumpkins - 2 hills of 3 seeds (yes, I planted them IN the garden despits DH's loathing of all things watermelon and pumpkin)

Tonight I hope to plant tomatoes.

DH hasnt gotten his potatoes in yet... but that is his problem not mine.

I need to plant onions, but I'm waiting because they finished really early last year.

Acorn squash may or may not go in this year at all... I havent decided.

The 40-50 tomato seedlings will take up a lot of the other half of the garden :)

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

I had already been mowing and driving tractor around for a few hours so I was lazy and didnt water in the seeds..... but its rainy now so *whew*!

My goal is to have enough green beans this year for pickling! I found a pickling recipe that I've been using on asparagus this spring which is DIVINE! Best pickles I've ever made! it'll be perfect for geen beans.

:weee

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I lived in Zone 4 Southwest Montana, June 8th was the usual plant out date. So Sparkles, you are in a lucky zone 3. One time I pressed it and planted on Memorial day, probably around the 29th of May. I was lucky. Another year I decided to wait later...also lucky...because we had a bad frost on the 23rd of June.

I was calling Dillon a multi zone place. Some years it is a true zone 3, and one or two years it was a barely zone bad 5. For perennials, I did not advocate planting zone 5 plants such as Hydrangeas or Rhododendrons. There is a master gardener there who can at his place, but not everyone can.

We did indeed experiment though! Some successes included Eastern White Pine if well cared for, leaves sprayed with water for humidity.

Things like zone 5 lavenders get a survival of the fittest. If it can tough it out when young, and well cared for, certain zone 5 plants make it.

Apple trees definitely need to be zone 4 apple varieties, Macintosh types, Whitneys. Zone 5 apples might struggle through a few years, until something always happens. Extra cold winter, late frost, and poof, poor thing. Same with Grapes. Stick with Valiant for zone 4. Small, not the sweetest, but still good, heck, real good because they made it again!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Congrats! Would you mind sharing the recipe? I've never pickled asparagus let alone green beans but I'm dying to try some

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Way to get after it Sparkles!

I'm with Jared on requesting your pickle recipe. I pickled green beans last year, and lets just say that I'm glad the chickens like them.

Latest posts