Planting Grapes

M.sue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good Morning All,
we have decided to plant some grapes this year. I was wondering if they should be planted in a certain direction....rows running N & S or E & W? Our garden runs east & west but we plant the rows so they are north & south. Does it matter for grapes? I'm trying to figure out where to put up a split rail fence for them to climb on. Any advice is surely welcomed.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'd like to know the answer too. We have wild muscadine grapes on the property that I'd like to take cuttings of to start some vines in an area NOT full of poison oak.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
I'd like to know the answer too. We have wild muscadine grapes on the property that I'd like to take cuttings of to start some vines in an area NOT full of poison oak.
Completely off topic, but....

There is a local(ish) wine maker that got some cuttings of the oldest cultivated grape vine in world (the Mother Vine) from Roanoke Island and planted them. They got a few vines from it, but not many. They made a HEAVENLY wine out of the grapes and it's aptly named Mothervine Scuppernog. (By Duplin Winery ) If you like wine, they do ship, and it is well worth it! It's def an East coast wine tho. They have a lot of sweet wines, but they do have the drier types as well.

M.sue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
The Mama Chicken said:

There is a local(ish) wine maker that got some cuttings of the oldest cultivated grape vine in world (the Mother Vine) from Roanoke Island and planted them. They got a few vines from it, but not many. They made a HEAVENLY wine out of the grapes and it's aptly named Mothervine Scuppernog. (By Duplin Winery ) If you like wine, they do ship, and it is well worth it! It's def an East coast wine tho. They have a lot of sweet wines, but they do have the drier types as well.
This sounds absolutely wonderful and I wouldn't mind spending the cash to sample some of that. Of course I'd save it for a special occassion....hmmmm....maybe not!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
The Mama Chicken said:

You know, I LOVE to go there and do the wine tasting once in awhile. Maybe we should meet up some time and do the tasting and tour?

Sorry to hijack the thread. :D

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
not many places i have found will sell you cuttings of grapevines to root but you can check ebay for some at a reasonable price. i got some back in early January and so far almost all 52 cutting have started to produce leaves and i've noticed the roots starting. it is really easy to get them to grow this way and much cheaper than buying plants at a nursery en mass.

i would suggest getting a catalog from Double A Vineyards in NY. not so much to order from but it is a really good 'book' giving you descriptions of each of the grape cultivars, their uses, zones they should thrive in, and the method of trellising them that works best.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
M.sue - The wines are VERY reasonably priced!! The Mothervine Scuppernog is $14.99 a bottle, so it's not an expensive wine, but it does taste very good! I'm not sure where you live, but they do ship. :-D

vfem - You bet we should meet at the winery!! A friend of mine is a member and when they have girls night we go. We always have to go out to eat at the Andy's that right up the road to soak up all the free alcohol they give out! The first time we went we all drank about the equivalent of a bottle of wine each! GAH! Thank goodness we always take a DD!! LOL

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
M.sue - The wines are VERY reasonably priced!! The Mothervine Scuppernog is $14.99 a bottle, so it's not an expensive wine, but it does taste very good! I'm not sure where you live, but they do ship. :-D

vfem - You bet we should meet at the winery!! A friend of mine is a member and when they have girls night we go. We always have to go out to eat at the Andy's that right up the road to soak up all the free alcohol they give out! The first time we went we all drank about the equivalent of a bottle of wine each! GAH! Thank goodness we always take a DD!! LOL
You're on! :D

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
M.sue said:
Good Morning All,
we have decided to plant some grapes this year. I was wondering if they should be planted in a certain direction....rows running N & S or E & W? Our garden runs east & west but we plant the rows so they are north & south. Does it matter for grapes? I'm trying to figure out where to put up a split rail fence for them to climb on. Any advice is surely welcomed.
Sue, here is something I pulled of the internet - I'd like to try grapes also.

Planting
Grapes need full sunlight and high temperatures to ripen, so plant on southern slopes, the south side of windbreaks, or the south sides of buildings. Avoid northern slopes and low ground since these will be cooler throughout the growing season, delaying ripening of the fruit. Choose deep, well-drained soils to avoid standing water in the spring and encourage early growth.

Plant in the spring as soon as the soil can be worked. Use healthy plants with well-developed root systems. Space the plants six to eight feet apart. Before planting the vine, remove all canes except the most vigorous one. Trim off any broken or excessively long roots.

Dig a hole large enough so you can spread the root system out without bending the roots. Plant vines at the same depth as in the nursery. Do not plant too deeply. Spread the roots and cover them completely with soil. After planting, shorten the remaining cane to two strong buds. Each bud will develop into a cane.

GreeneGarden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Plant in north south rows.
Disease resistant varieties and their uses are:

wine:
Oberlin Noir, Marquette, Norton

table or jams and jellies:
Shuyler, Bluebell, Trollhaugen, Mars, America

mostly jams and jellies:
Beta, Isabella

Probably Shuyler is the best tasting.
All the table grapes take some getting used to since these are Labrusca hybrids.
Most people only use them for jams and jellies.

Marquette and Norton make the best wines.
Oberlin Noir is best for mixing.
I have even seen Isabella used for wine.

The ones listed will require the least spraying regimen.

You can definately grow better tasting grapes but they will require a whole lot more spraying.
If you are serious about going organic with the least work, these are the way to go.
I do not know which zone or climate you are in and each one has it's own unique needs.
You would have to be more specific.

http://www.gardenfornutrition.org/Organic_Self_Sufficiency_Crops.html#FRUIT

Latest posts