Planting on Septic Leach Field

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
3 years ago i replaced my septic tank, it was not cheap i don't want to mess it up. Last year I was given a iron gazebo, only flat place I had was new leach field so i put it there. I was told not to plant any trees on the leach field (might have been not to plant anything there). I wanted vines to grow up and cover gazebo so I place large cement planters around it and planted in them. Didn't work well vines never thrived. Would it be safe to plant morning glories on leach field ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy ... I don't know about NY, but in Cal. and Wash. regarding Health Department rules and regulations for septic tank and leach field plantings... NO trees, bushes , food crops or deep rooted plants are allowed on or within a minimum of 30 feet of any septic tank, line or field as the roots will invade/ grow into leach lines causing blockage then backup or overflow of sewer fluids and gasses. Shallow root grasses are allowed , however NO hoofed animals a re allowed to graze on the grasses due to compaction and / or line breakage and health issues. :thI would recommend that you contact your County / City Health Department for an answer ! :caf

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
all i can say is have the prettiest green lawn 2' wide and 400' long during the winter. roots are the biggest killer of a septic field ..

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy ... I don't know about NY, but in Cal. and Wash. regarding Health Department rules and regulations for septic tank and leach field plantings... NO trees, bushes , food crops or deep rooted plants are allowed on or within a minimum of 30 feet of any septic tank, line or field as the roots will invade/ grow into leach lines causing blockage then backup or overflow of sewer fluids and gasses. Shallow root grasses are allowed , however NO hoofed animals a re allowed to graze on the grasses due to compaction and / or line breakage and health issues. :thI would recommend that you contact your County / City Health Department for an answer ! :caf

Yes, it is the roots blocking the lines that is the big problem. As you said, that was expensive, you don't want to mess it up.

The sewage goes into a septic tank where bugs eat it. The relatively clean* water that is left then leaves the septic tank through a pipe to where it joins pipe with holes in it. The water slowly leaches from the pipe into the ground through these holes. Roots can plug these holes and plug these lines since they are attracted to the water. The area where the water leaches into the ground is the leach field.

* I said relatively clean water because if your septic system is set up right, size and volume, the leach water will be pretty darn clean. I still would not want to plant any food stuffs in there. YUK!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are different types of systems here, but basically what @bobm listed is how we were told to care for our system, by our septic installer and the guy who pumps and inspects our system every three years. I have an arbor and perennial garden over part of one of the lines, which he said is fine, just no trees, deep roots, tilling ... and avoid driving anything over it to compact it.

I would also avoid perennial vines like wisteria that may have aggressive root systems.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is a leach field ?
Are the lines that lead away from septic tank. They are to take the excessive liquids from tank. Can be clay tile (old school), perforated plastic 4" pipes or a half moon plastic that is about 3' wide.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I asked this same question 5 years ago. ;)

Makes me mad, got all that space back there and can't plant on it since the leach field takes up so much space.

It's best not to do much of anything other than mowing and you can walk back there. That's about it. The space between the lines is like 10'. I think you could get away with planting morning glories or any shallow rooted annuals *in that middle space only*. You may be able to see an indentation where the long lines are. Stay away from those. They are very shallow.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My lines are 6' deep. Plus what is going through the lines is liquids that will go into ground water. Planting over a field should have no consequences. Although agree avoid anything deep rooted or any type of tree or bush unless you enjoy de-doing your field.

Latest posts