Planting water melon and muskmelon

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I would be able to use 3'' pvc pipe instead of coffee cans?? I don't drink coffee and have no way of getting those cans. At work I can get a ton of 3'' scrap pipe. Will it work?? Have you ever used that??

Mike

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure what your plan is- are you starting the seeds in containers??

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Starting them in the ground where they will be. Idk man I just see a bunch of people putting coffee cans in the ground, Idk if it's because they need alot of room.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am not catching what you are asking. I've never seen people grow them in cans in the ground?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heard of starting walnut trees in coffee cans in the ground before, but not watermelon/canteloupe. I'm not sure what the benefit would be. They do fine sown directly in the ground. I like starting mine in flats, but that is just to get a little jump on the season here. Melons are very deep rooters. I would think planting them in a coffee can would be too restrictive for them. JMO

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok I've been thinking what you posted, are you talking about metal coffee cans? Are you north or west where its a cooler climate? I'm guessing someone is trying to heat the ground more and force better growth or maybe earlier melon production and ripening?

I've put foil around potted peppers to warm them up and get better growth. Like solar power heat... peppers need warmth too.

Does that seem like what you are talking about doing?

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That maybe sounds right, I live in the Texas panhandle where the wind blows. I was thinging maybe so the wind won't hurt the smaller plants. I just see that alot of people around here do that with the metal coffee cans and I'm new to all this.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you are thinking of growing them to maturity in containers I don't think it can be done. They have huge spreading root systems.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
crazzzymike13 said:
That maybe sounds right, I live in the Texas panhandle where the wind blows. I was thinging maybe so the wind won't hurt the smaller plants. I just see that alot of people around here do that with the metal coffee cans and I'm new to all this.
If that is what they do, then they probably cut the tops and bottoms out of the cans and are only using them as 'walls' to cut out the wind until the plant is larger and stronger. You may be able to do that with cut down 2 liter bottles of soda?!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OK now I see what you're talking about. People do that to protect from late frosts that can kill tender youg plants. You wouldn't get as much help from white plastic but it can't hurt, especially if it's windy.

Latest posts