Plastic Tub Gardering

Rvrfshr

Sprout
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions and tips on gardening in 25 gallon tubs.

Last year I experimented with 6 tubs and got mixed results. The tomatoes I planted did well and produced long after most ground gardens stopped producing.

This year I plan to increase my 6 tubs to more like 60. My reasons for wanting to garden this way are as follows:

1. weeding - buckets don't seem to grow the weeds that a normal ground garden does and if a weed is spotted it is easier to pick it or trowel it out than hoeing.

2. fertilization - by controlling the area to fertlize less fertlizer (cheaper) is used and what is used is maximized because it is contained

3. cultivation - turning last years soil over and adding other composted material is easier and less costly than buying fuel for and maintaining a tractor, cultivators, tires, batteries etc..

4. bug infestation - again, treating one tub is easier and cheaper than treating a whole ground plot

I do have a couple of questions for anyone who is experienced of knowledgeable about container/bucket/tub gardening.

Drainage is not too difficult to deal with. I drill 5/8" holes about 3 inches apart, starting 6 inches from the bottom of the tubs.

Although the drainage works fine, I am finding that my soil, which is mostly clay with some rotting leaves and other organic materials mixed in, begins to compact over the growing season.

Does anyone have ideas or tips for avoiding the soil compaction?

I had good luck with the miracle grow granules that are mixed with water. Fertilized every 7-10 days. I am not sure that this is enough fertilizer because my tomatoes were not as big as expected. I don't want to burn the plants with an overdose of fertilizer, but need to find out how to increase the size of the actual fruit.

This year I will be planting purple hull peas, yellow summer squash, corn, green pole beans, sugar peas, okra, tomatoes, lima beans.

If anyone has ideas about the soil mixture, please let me know.

Thanks, and enjoy what's left of this winter. Spring is coming sooner than we think..

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I use some of the large tubs for small things(lettuce, carrots, strawberries, stuff like the little bugs really like). Had good luck putting 1 eggplant in each last summer. I've used some others cut in half to build raised beds...hey, they were free!

Have clay soil here, too. Tried mixing with compost and finally resorted to adding potting soil to the mix in the individual tubs, not in the raised beds. Helped with moisture regulation and ended the compaction problem.

One thing about your list of desired veggies...DO NOT try okra in a tub with a bottom. Okra has a taproot that goes down 3-4 FEET. :ep

Rvrfshr

Sprout
Reaction score
desertcat said:
I use some of the large tubs for small things(lettuce, carrots, strawberries, stuff like the little bugs really like). Had good luck putting 1 eggplant in each last summer. I've used some others cut in half to build raised beds...hey, they were free!

Have clay soil here, too. Tried mixing with compost and finally resorted to adding potting soil to the mix in the individual tubs, not in the raised beds. Helped with moisture regulation and ended the compaction problem.

One thing about your list of desired veggies...DO NOT try okra in a tub with a bottom. Okra has a taproot that goes down 3-4 FEET. :ep
What size tubs are you using and how much potting soil do you use per tub?

Good point about the okrie.

Thanks for the input!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oooh... someone here has a bunch of those tubs in their garden and I remember seeing the pictures. They were amazingly full and healthy! :tools

I can't remember who that was, it was mixed though... ground and tubs. And they had an awesome shed! Dang, I can't remember who it was, but I soooooo remember their garden! Is that bad.

:watering

I hope they see this, or I can remember who it was and find the link for you. Maybe that would be of help. I don't garden this way, so I have no input. I think its a wonderful plan. I love the diversity on how everything in this ground goes about their hobby differently. :cool:

p.s.- :welcome

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
desertcat said:
I did not know that. No wonder I about killed myself trying to pull them out at the end of the season. :gig Couldn't chop them with a hatchet either (and couldn't get hubby to come after them with a chainsaw) so I ended up waiting until they were nearly rotten before I tried again. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The size of the tomatoes may have tori withbeing in containers. I hear that mentioned a lot when reading about container gardening.

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have an assortment of large tubs, some 25 gal and a bunch closer to 12ish. What works best for me is to fill them with about 1/2 garden soil (clay...large pile left from leveling my arena), 1/4 composted horse/chicken manure and the last 1/4 potting soil. The potting soil was a new addition last summer and really made a pleasant difference, both in texture and productivity.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEH! I use purchased garden soil for my large pots and then add my compost to them every year. I also mulch them which for me is very important for watering. My plants all seem to do well. Maybe you can buy the soil in bulk somewhere? Over here our county has different soils, mulches, and compost for sale in bulk at very cheap prices.

Mary