Pole vs. Bush Beans

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay, OldGal and I have pretty much settled on pole beans, mostly because we don't can (Yet! First I've got to get a garden that produces in abundance. :tools ), and because of the small size of my plot (20' x 80'). Now we just have to settle on one or two varieties. We both like wax beans so probably a couple of poles of those. Hope I don't get another hot and dry year.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did Kentucky Wonders and had great success. Great taste and were not stringy even if we missed some and they got bigger than we'd normally eat them. DW cast a skeptical eye at me when I put in pole beans because her family ALWAYS swore by bush beans but she's a believer and said don't change the variety.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We grew beans for Territorial Seed Company last year. We grew both types of beans WITHOUT trellises. You can grow them and just let them do their thing.

Trellising will improve production a bit as there is better light. My advise is to grow for flavor. If you have a small garden, you can grow a few plants and harvest as necessary.

Watch for deer! They LOVE beans!!!!!!

The packets should tell you if they need to be trellised.

For me, blue lakes are a must and wax beans. Yuuuum.

bjanet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm loving everyone's bean variety comparisons...however, does anyone try to grow kidney beans? DH and I love them and it has taken awhile for me to even find a company that sells the seeds. I will be putting those in this year and keep my fingers crossed that they produce.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, bjanet, all snapbeans are "kidney" beans. Some kidney beans just have thicker pods that are suitable for eating before the seeds are mature.

The Rattlesnake beans I grew last year are snapbeans but I harvested most of them when they had fully developed seeds. After they thoroughly dried, they made good bean soup.

I've grown a few varieties like Pinto and Soldier that are not intended for use as snapbeans. The Soldier beans especially did really, really great but, I think that location may have a lot to do with performance. What kind of kidney beans are you thinking of growing?

Steve

bjanet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sorry to be late getting back to you Steve...I am going to try to grow the dark red kidney bean that you find in the dried bean aisle. I know those are really grown as shelled or dried beans and I want to give it a try. You say you've grown the pinto bean, so did you have any trouble with those?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought it may be the one with the name "kidney" on the package, Janet.

I don't recall any trouble with the Pinto beans. Often, folks say that green beans are their easiest vegetable. A few more weeks in the garden, and growing beans for drying might be the next easiest.

This was once a place where green beans were grown commercially but I haven't seen any bean fields for many years. There may be some trouble with curly top and red spiders like beans late in the season. Soap spray can kill spider mites.

Oh yeah, most every critter will eat your beans if they can get at them and are hungry. I have major problems with cottontail bunnies :rolleyes:. Gotta keep the beans away from the neighbor's raspberry/grapevine jungle!! I think the bunnies have hawk & owl trouble farther out in the open ;).

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Speaking on beans again...

Does anyone have the bush turtle beans / black beans for trade? I haven't been able to find mine or a way to order a small quanity. I need like 40?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just order Kentucky Wonders today so I hope they are good.

vfem, I read on another site somewhere that they planted "pantry beans". I wasn't sure at first what that was but she later explained that she grew the dry beans she bought at the store, ie black beans etc. That is was why cheaper and they grew just fine. I think I am going to try it.

Latest posts