Popcorn recommendation for New England

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This year's popcorn winners were Blue Pop and Red Bird from Sand Hill Preservation. Faribo White Hulless did not pollinate well at all for some reason, but the Blue Pop (which is actually blue and yellow) and the Red Bird filled out reasonably. Both look very pretty--no, I don't have a picture, I ate it all in one sitting *burp*--and taste quite nice. Well, they taste like real popcorn, that very deep, fresh corny taste. Not the bits of salty styrofoam you normally get from the store. The Red Bird is especially pretty after popping, bright white fluffs with ruby-red hulls flecked through it. Both did great in our traditional New England soil (a tiller-breaking combination of rocks and clay and extra rocks) amended with two wheelbarrow loads of chicken litter/30 square feet in early spring.

You do not need a popcorn popper or any special anything to make delicious, cheap, homemade popcorn. A stove and a saucepan are sufficient.

One two-quart saucepan, serves two normal people and one hungry person:

2 tbsp. cooking oil
3 tbsp. popcorn

Put the oil in the pan, and heat the pan up on medium-high heat for about 5-10 minutes.
Sprinkle popcorn evenly into pan, then put the lid on. The popcorn should just barely cover the bottom of the pan in a single layer.
When you start hearing pops, give the pan a shake every 10 seconds or so to make sure the popped kernels aren't sticking to the bottom. Hold the lid on tight with an oven mitt while you shake. When you only hear a few pops once in a while, take the pan off the heat even if you think there might be a few unpopped kernels. Better to deal with unpopped kernels than burnt popcorn.

Add butter & seasonings to taste. Favorite seasonings here include parmesan, chili powder & garlic salt, cheddar & garlic salt, cocoa mix, cinnamon sugar, Italian seasoning, oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes that have been whizzed in the blender with extra olive oil instead of butter.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome!!

Now take your Popcorn, pop it and then make this (one of my favs):

Caramel Popcorn

Popcorn (I usually fill a Turkey basting pan full, popped)
16 oz. peanuts or pecans
1 c. light brown sugar
2 sticks of butter
1/2 c. white corn syrup
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. maple syrup

Preheat Oven to 250

Spray pan with non-stick spray

Pop corn--remove unpopped kernels; mix with peanuts. Fill pan.

In saucepan--butter, sugar, salt, corn syrup, maple syrup, and vanilla. Boil over medium heat. Stir constantly; 5 minutes.

Remove from heat, add Baking Soda; continue to stir--mixture will foam and bubble.

Pour over popcorn--Fold gently to mix

Bake 1 hour, gently stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes; stir gently again.

Serve and Enjoy!!

Awesome stuff! :bow

Ron

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew some hybrid popcorn this year and I was sort of disappointed that the kernels were so small. It took a lot of kernels to feed the kids during a movie. But they were tasty and fun to grow.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ooh, Ron, our brown sugar is a solid lump. Can I use it anyway, and guesstimate the volume?

I was going to ask "does it keep well in tins" because I have about four big Boy Scouts popcorn tins. Then I realized this question was absolutely pointless. :lol:

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never had my brown sugar turn hard (I guess I use it too fast), but I did hear that if you take several slices of apple and put them in the bag with the sugar that the moisture will keep the sugar from turning hard.

Maybe someone here with hard sugar will step in and let us know what to do. I think if you were to try to put this in the pan now with those other ingredients it would create hard crystals and they would likely break a tooth trying to eat it. :ep

I hope you don't have to sacrifice the sugar.

Ron

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Ooh, Ron, our brown sugar is a solid lump. Can I use it anyway, and guesstimate the volume?

I was going to ask "does it keep well in tins" because I have about four big Boy Scouts popcorn tins. Then I realized this question was absolutely pointless. :lol:
Roaslind..I always put a piece of lightbread or the heel of a loaf of bread in the canister that I keep my broun sugar in. It will soften it , also if you do that, it wont clump to begin with. Used to be a school cafeteria cook, and we always did that.. works like a charm.
No the bread wont mold..it gets hard and the sugar gets soft.

Latest posts