Popping in from Southwest Florida

Canam

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello friendly neighbors... from far and near.
Its not too common I find fellow members on forums from my deep south rooted territory, but none the less, I keep trying.
I'm an empty-nested mom of three, replacing my time now with my garden,9 chickens, and 2 rouen ducks. It keeps me busy enough, but im looking to expand my creativities now to "what to do" with my stocks of vegis and eggs.
I may have jumped in full steam ahead of myself, so im here to learn how to enhance my canning capabilities, find new and hard to find varieties of plants to dabble in, and possibly make a few friends.
The humid and nasty summer heat mixed with the afternoon rains make for troublesome gardening, so I hope to find ways to defeat! Speaking of defeat, I would love to find which plants ( of any sorts) my chickens will walk AWAY from and not peck to death or trample on.. those lil buggers cant stand to be left alone. I may as well be mothering a flock of toddlers! Who knew i went from one grandchild to 10 almost overnight?! Yeowzers...

Anyway...happy gardening my fellow EGC friends. My force is now with me.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Canam. Glad you joined our group. You will find lots of information here from nice people who want to share it. Just start posting threads and pictures of course.

Mary

Canam

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you, Mary. I look forward to showing off my "brag book" :weee

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my experience, anything that you plant for the chickens, they will walk away from. Anything you plant for yourself, they are all over like flies on dog doo.
And Welcome, from SE Missouri.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you found us! :frow

Just jump right in with comments, questions, suggestions, and photos. No need to be shy with this group.

The only way I've found to keep the chickens out of where they don't need to be is with fences. Either fence them in or fence them out. They love to scratch in dirt and especially mulch. They can empty out a landscaping bed in no time. They tend to really like abut everything as it is sprouting and will take a peck out of something, ruining it, then move one instead of filling up n that one thing. I recommend fences.

Canam

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you found us! :frow

Just jump right in with comments, questions, suggestions, and photos. No need to be shy with this group.

The only way I've found to keep the chickens out of where they don't need to be is with fences. Either fence them in or fence them out. They love to scratch in dirt and especially mulch. They can empty out a landscaping bed in no time. They tend to really like abut everything as it is sprouting and will take a peck out of something, ruining it, then move one instead of filling up n that one thing. I recommend fences.
i thought I had it going on when I put 3 ft border fences around the garden, but my longhorns hopped right on them then flew down and ate the tops off my carrots and brussels, then destroyed all the baby cucs coming up. We are in process of building a bigger run so I don't need to babysit all day.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! I always say, I wouldn't plant a garden without a fence! I let my chickens in, after harvest- and lock them out again in the spring. Make sure whatever fencing you use, doesn't have a top rail. They will jump right up and roost on the rail and then jump into the garden...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
By the way, no advice for feeding or fending off chickens. I put a 4-foot fence around my garden to keep the veggies from running into my hungry chickens. The flock free-ranges within about a football field of their coop (their choice) hence. . . the fence.

Latest posts