Possibly a variety of calendula

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The seeds for this plant came from a package of mixed seeds. I am thinking it is some kind of Calendula, but I am not positive. Any ideas?

63012.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gazania? This is my first year for calendula, so I am only slightly familiar with the yellow ones.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have three Gazania in pots and the leaves on this plant do not look anything like the Gazania. The flowers have a pungent earthy smell, but it is not unpleasant.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do note that this is a perennial, Jack.

It has been described as a short-lived perennial and that's about right. Short-lived or not, it self-seeds easily and, it has a remarkably long flower season.

Gaillardia is a native American wildflower. We have them blooming on the dry, sunny slopes above the rivers around here :).

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:

It has been described as a short-lived perennial and that's about right. Short-lived or not, it self-seeds easily and, it has a remarkably long flower season.

Gaillardia is a native American wildflower. We have them blooming on the dry, sunny slopes above the rivers around here :).

Steve
Thanks Steve. We have some in front of the house also that we purchased from a garden center. The one in the photo is in the greenhouse and does not look anything like the one from the garden center. Ava and I are turning our attention to flowers, and we will be growing carnations and Chinese Asters soon; probably into the winter to fool Mother Nature again.

Jack

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's definitely the Arizona Blanket Flower Variety of Gaillardia. I have this one and a couple other varieties. Great spreading flower, and freely self sows. They prefer sandy soil, so only do well in pots and raised beds for me. I know they thrive near the beaches here in NC, so I'm assuming they like our humidity.

Here's where I found more info on it for you:

http://parkseed.com/blanket-flower-arizona-sun/p/03250-PK-P1/

Dannyjoy

Sprout
Reaction score
digitS' said:

Steve
I don't think so that it belongs from perennial, but there are lots of similarities with Gaillardia. It might be from Gaillardia group.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in east Texas we call 'em Indian Blanket. They grow on the roadsides and thrive anywhere.

Latest posts