Potato Question

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When they are in flower you can harest some new potatoes. They are extra sweet for about 2 weeks. I let them doe backhand eat them straight from the garden. I don"t dig them all until the real cold is ready to set in.

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There are two camps here. Get them small when the flowers die and they taste better (all theory of course) wait for them to die back and they get bigger if they are genetically capable of it. Plants only grow to their genetic potential and no bigger.

I say, harvest one of them and make a decision after that. Eat it and decide if you want to eat the rest - let your stomach guide you!

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, no, no, no, no! Not the stomach! Not the palate either!

Do you want new potatoes that are small but delicious or shouldn't you be content to wait for the vines to start dying back and harvest some 'keepers' that will last you into the coming winter. Those delicious babies are not intended to be stored.

I tend to try for the best of both worlds and snatch a few new spuds from under Mama while waiting for the majority of my crop to develop.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@catjac1975 I have a neighbor on one side who thinks we're nuts. But, can't wait until the biddies start laying. The neighbor on the other side hasn't said anything. I don't know if that's good or bad. All of our friends think it's great. We've been bringing their kids over and letting them help us plant. My kids love sharing their knowledge with them. So, that's great!

No, no, no, no, no! Not the stomach! Not the palate either!

Do you want new potatoes that are small but delicious or shouldn't you be content to wait for the vines to start dying back and harvest some 'keepers' that will last you into the coming winter. Those delicious babies are not intended to be stored.

I tend to try for the best of both worlds and snatch a few new spuds from under Mama while waiting for the majority of my crop to develop.
I'm hoping to have 2 crops one for the summer. Then replant and have a winter crop. We can potentially have 2 growing seasons if we do it right.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@majorcatfish Thanks! We are ready to have more room. But, that's not in the cards for another year a tleast.