Potato storage failure :( open to ideas

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a disappointment, after such a wonderful harvest... I know everybody wants to find firm potatoes, in the middle of winter. The only way I have found that works without fail- is to can the potatoes with a pressure canner. It is a lot of work, but the spuds are delicious and last forever. I can as many as possible, and then the ones I am too tired to can, become the keepers. They usually last in my basement till January, then downhill from there. When they get mushy and sprout- I just start using the canned potatoes and all is well.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year will be different. First of all I know I don't need to plant 50 pounds, so there will be less to store. And I'm very interested in getting a pressure canner, but until I do I think I will dehydrate a lot of the harvest.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the dehydrating idea... would you do it in the oven? I have a small dehydrator- but it seems like it would take a million batches to do enough, to make it worthwhile.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The oven is an idea...actually I was thinking of using my dehydrator, which isn't large. I suppose it will be one of those learn as you go experiences!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, the very thought of peeling large quantities of potatoes makes me cringe.
I have a permanent scar on my left thumb from growing up as moms favorite potato peeler. Wonder where all my brothers and sisters were when mom got the potatoes out?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It really is crazy labor intensive...I won't lie! When I can the fingerlings, I don't peel them. They are so small and kind of odd shaped. When I go to use them, sometimes the skin slides right off. I don't mind eating them with the skin, either. I do peel the larger red potatoes. I always end up giving myself a manicure (weather I need one, or not!) by slicing off a few fingernails. So far, I have kept my fingers intact. I usually harvest an amount that I think I can deal with in one sitting and then harvest more, when I am ready for another batch. It means standing at the sink for pretty much the entire day...Hey, if it was easy- everybody would do it!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried those mitts for peeling potatoes? Like, mitts you wear on your hands and scrub the potato skin off? They seem..gimmicky to me, but if it worked might save some time? And wounded fingers! :) lemme see if i can find a link to what i'm talking about.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, that sounded interesting, Heather! I guess sometimes they can't invent a better mousetrap? I had a great peeler from tupperware- it finally bit the dust. Funny how they all seem so similar, but you always end up with a favorite!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh well Heather, it would have been pretty cool if they actually worked. Something like that would work
alright on freshly dug potatoes. But you can almost skin them with your bare hands.

I think the best thing would be to have a supply of eight year olds to press into potato duty. :D

Latest posts