Potato towers success?

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
I dug 2, 60' rows and a 30' row last year and come October I fell behind with everything else I had going and was struggling to get them out of the ground. That's why I was looking for something that was close in production but would be easier to harvest rather than digging up another 150' in the fall.

Between me working 24hr shifts, plus fall pee-wee soccer with my young daughter, and hunting seasons gearing up, and all the normal life stuff going on it was tough to find the time to commit to getting them. At that point most of the gardens done anyway so its a lower priority. I'm still on 24hr shifts but we're changed the schedule so maybe things will get better but its tough to say with our family welcoming another child this July I don't hold out much hope that things get much better. I wouldn't trade it for the world though. I'm not opposed to doing the work I'm just trying to work smarter not harder.

Then of course it doesn't help when I found this site last night before I posted this on here. http://www.henleypotatotower.co.uk/ and then you see they grew 55lbs of potatoes from 4 seed potatoes http://www.henleypotatotower.co.uk/images/Brochure/Brochure_23Dec11.pdf so I figured I'd ask on here if and how others were doing it.
The pictures are not convincing. I have grown too many potatoes to believe such nonsense. This site is selling some silly tower, which targets the ignorant.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
please correct if I am wrong . more eyes you have on the seed you plant, more potatoes will grow off it ?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
please correct if I am wrong . more eyes you have on the seed you plant, more potatoes will grow off it ?
I can't confirm or deny this, my harvests have always been pretty uniform but then I don't cut up many of my seed potatoes so the number of eyes always varies. I always have plenty of seed potatoes so I never bothered to cut them. I think its more about nutrition and the type of potato your growing if its meant to give you really big spuds, a unique color or lots of smaller potatoes.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The pictures are not convincing. I have grown too many potatoes to believe such nonsense. This site is selling some silly tower, which targets the ignorant.
Despite you resurrecting this thread to try to ignite an old fight I'm not going to take your sad attempts at baiting me. I actually feel sorry for you Durgan having to resort to this to get someone to respond to your posts.

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QHBIN 21 August 2009 How a Potato Plant Grows
There is a great deal of information on the Internet about growing potatoes in tires, boxes and indicating that large quantities of new tubers can be produced with high vertical hilling. The view propagated is that potatoes grow from branches all along the main stalk. This is utter nonsense, as the pictures indicate. New tubers are formed around the seed potato and always slightly above it.

My potato growing test box was opened today. The pictures speak for themselves. Clearly there is no advantage in carrying out excessive hilling when growing potatoes. The purpose of hilling is to insure the tubers are covered, since light affects potatoes producing a green appearance, which is an indication of solanine, which is harmful if ingested in large quantities.. For comparison one Pontiac Red was dug in the same row, which was almost identical to the test box potato in appearance.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bravo I think is your potato harvest a photos are wonderful Duran Duran you are an inspiration I don't have the patience to do the kind of photography and scientific work upset you do so I'm glad you do them for us

PeggySue

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the form! Anyway we plan on trying this method using a 55 gallon drum.

Here's what we are thinking to get a better harvest

1. Cut barrel in half to allow more sun light. When the potatoes reach the top of that half then some how attach the other half

2. Fill bottom with 2 inches of gravel to help with drainage

3. Use a mixture of peatmoss/ Perlite??? / and compost so the soil will not be as compacted

What do you guys think???

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
PeggySue said:
2. Fill bottom with 2 inches of gravel to help with drainage?
Holes for drainage. Cover gravel with landscape cloth to keep the soil separated from the gravel

Certainly worth a try. Most of the spud towers I've heard of have some access near the bottom to garner some new potatoes while the upper spuds are still growing, but I suppose it's not required.

Welcome, Peggy Sue! Glad to have you growing with us. How about a bit of info regarding your gardening zone, etc. Not being nosy, but it often helps us help you.

Latest posts