Potatoes in 5 gallon bucket.....................

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The good thing about growing potatoes in gallon buckets is that it reduce the amount of weeding and exposure to pests and fungi, you don't even have to risk shovel-damage to the tender potatoes by digging them out of the ground when they're done, just tip the container over.

Greg R.

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The good thing about growing potatoes in gallon buckets is that it reduce the amount of weeding and exposure to pests and fungi,
It will sure cut down on my slug problem around here.
Once I get my deer fence up I'm going to get a couple ducks in there.
If I can wipe out or control the slugs make my life lot easier.
Deer & slugs with deer #1 is my main problems.

Plus with the fence my chickens can free range more.

Unfortunately lot of people around here with no gardens feed the deer and don't give a rip about taming them when the rest of us have $$$$ invested let alone our time.
Deer here use to be scared of you.
No more, thus the fence or they eat everything.
My dog is to old now to do his job.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a huge deer problem too. Here is a trick I use to "train" them to stay away from the garden. Once you get your fence up, buy an electric fence charger. Make sure it's a good one. Run a strand of fence wire about 3-4 feet high around the outside of the main fence. From that wire, hang 4" x 4" squares of aluminum foil. Coat the foil with peanut butter and press alfalfa pellets into the peanut butter. Space these bait squares about 6' apart all around the fence. Plug in the fence charger and let the training begin. Deer aren't stupid and after taking a few zaps on the tongue or nose, they will avoid your garden.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I have a huge deer problem too. Here is a trick I use to "train" them to stay away from the garden. Once you get your fence up, buy an electric fence charger. Make sure it's a good one. Run a strand of fence wire about 3-4 feet high around the outside of the main fence. From that wire, hang 4" x 4" squares of aluminum foil. Coat the foil with peanut butter and press alfalfa pellets into the peanut butter. Space these bait squares about 6' apart all around the fence. Plug in the fence charger and let the training begin. Deer aren't stupid and after taking a few zaps on the tongue or nose, they will avoid your garden.
I like your method Monty. Do you think it would work if you just had the hot wire without a regular fence behind it?

I don't have a deer problem, they do pass through now and then, and it would be nice to train them to stay away from the goodies before they knew what the goodies were.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greg R. said:
The good thing about growing potatoes in gallon buckets is that it reduce the amount of weeding and exposure to pests and fungi,
It will sure cut down on my slug problem around here.
Once I get my deer fence up I'm going to get a couple ducks in there.
If I can wipe out or control the slugs make my life lot easier.
Deer & slugs with deer #1 is my main problems.

Plus with the fence my chickens can free range more.

Unfortunately lot of people around here with no gardens feed the deer and don't give a rip about taming them when the rest of us have $$$$ invested let alone our time.
Deer here use to be scared of you.
No more, thus the fence or they eat everything.
My dog is to old now to do his job.
What will the ducks do for the garden? do you worry about them digging things up or do they just eat the slugs?? they have eliminated the grass and anything green in my back yard so I would be terrified to put them in my garden!!

My biggest problem is Moles!! they ate all the asparagus roots, and my one raised bed looks like a mini putting course!!!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I like your method Monty. Do you think it would work if you just had the hot wire without a regular fence behind it?

I don't have a deer problem, they do pass through now and then, and it would be nice to train them to stay away from the goodies before they knew what the goodies were.
I don't know if it would or not. I think probably not. The regular fence slows them down enough to find the bait. Otherwise they may just jump the hot wire into the garden. It might be worth a shot though.

Greg R.

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What will the ducks do for the garden? do you worry about them digging things up or do they just eat the slugs?
Your question is good.
Unfortunately my comment was based on others with gardens saying that's their slug control.
I didn't ask about the side effects.
I do need to do more research.
My chickens it's a pain to free range them when the garden going cause if I'm not watching they go to that end of the property having a great old time at my expense. LOL!
So a fence at least help that part of the free range time.