Potatoes in tires

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I get leaves from around the neighborhood and mix with horse manure. I have a pile on each side of the yard and that's what I plant my potatoes in. They are big, blemish free and there's a lot of them. The ones I plant in dirt are not as big.

I have plenty of chicken manure and leaves! I will be trying this next year!! I have been planting in succession so I will continue to grow and eat fresh potatoes all summer I never seem to get them to last all winter! but we just ate last years last sweet potatoes so I'm making progress

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know the varieties. Some I got from walmart, a red type and yukon gold. Also some all blue from lowes. I've also grown sprouted grocery store spuds. Last year was a mix of grocery store and small potatoes from the year before crop. This year I ordered some different types of potatoes, but I'd have to look at the tags to see what they are. I'm actually pretty new at potatoes, I've only been growing them for a few years. Just finding out what works for me and what doesn't.

Gaz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Are you at all worried about chemicals leaching out of the tires into the soil?

Has anyone seen any research on this? I searched and searched...and found a whole pile of opinion but no real scientific research to provide answers.

Latest posts