Prayer of the day

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I'm at the grocery store getting milk & bread when I see this very attractive girl shopping too. She's on her mid 20's taller brunette well put together, a real catch.

She's there with her boyfriend and the guy is a total jerk. He's loud, rude, obnoxious, doesn't treat her well at all. It was obvious within a minute this guy was a total clown who had no idea how to treat a woman as an equal.

Realizing it wasn't really my fight instead of knocking his block off I've matured since having kids and instead said a little prayer...

"Lord if for some reason my daughters grow up lacking self confidence and feel the need to date a jerk like that....when I meet him can you please be sure the ground isn't frozen? Amen"

My wife just shook her head at me as she overheard me.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mean people breed mean little people.

I have a bad habit of voicing my opinion a bit too loudly in situations like that. Dh is not real fond of that.:D

In the grocery store there was a young jerk of a kid, 10 maybe 12 years old, kept ramming the cart into his mom's legs. When she finally said something he said, get the H out of my way then! :smackThe dad was there, said nothing! As we passed I commented... WOW, way to raise a kid with respect. Dh ditched me around the corner. It probably made no difference, the dad was probably a jerk too, but I felt better.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been very fortunate that none of my kids ever brought home a jerk. They were very picky just as I was growing up. They all are with someone that seems great for them. But, when they were young I told my husband if our daughters brought home a, lets just call him a bad boy, just tell them how much we love him and she should keep him around. I always thought that would be the kiss of death for that relationship. My son is getting married in July. If I could have selected his choice it would be his Anna. I feel very blessed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! @catjac1975 !

Might be that making that independent decision is part of self respect. Sorely lacking in some girls willing to put up with some butt head ...

I don't know if we can rescue these women ...

It isn't just women. We set the boys up for behavior like this. Immanuel Kant? What was I reading ...

... here it is: "It is not necessary that whilst I live, I live happily; but it is necessary that so long as I live, I should live honorably."

So, our boys need to know what "honorably" might mean. Honoring others does not have to do with using them for our own purposes.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You assume by looking that she is a real catch. In her own way she may be worse than him. Pretty girls are not always "catches". Back when I was single and dating I knew some real knockouts I didn't want anything to do with. They were toxic or pure status-seekers. No depth to them at all.

Our kids select whom they will. You hope you have raised them to value certain things but they will make their own decisions. Sometimes we can influence those decisions, good or bad, but a lot of times we can't.

One of the boys is considering a life-altering decision. No, it's not a sex change operation, it's a career change. I have some concerns that it is the right decision for him based on his personality and whether he is making it for the right reasons. I can maybe influence it some by asking certain questions or giving him some research avenues, but it is his and his wife's decision. In the end all I can do is support him.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge brings up a good point. Hopefully there is more to be being a great catch than physical attractiveness.
And it's not always men who are abusers in relationships. Women are quite capable of wearing those shoes too.

Speaking of jerks in grocery stores, I had to run in and grab something quickly one afternoon, and in the produce section was a teenager with his mom (I assume) pushing a cart. On the back of the boys t-shirt, in the biggest block letters possible was "_ _ _ K OFF".
So offensive. It made me angry that this "mother" or whatever guardian type she was would allow a kid to own a shirt like that, much less wear it publicly. I was gathering myself to make a relevant comment when I chickened out. I figured he could easily outrun me and if I was followed out of the store my truck and trailer are pretty distinctive (and my phone # is on the sign on my door).
If dh was with me I sure would have!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
From the "Random Picture" thread on BYC today. Part of a long picture post about restoring faith in 'good' human beings.

enhanced-11094-1393453276-11.jpg

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess I should clarify.

She was attractive but didn't seem to recognize or accept her own looks. She was well dressed without being on the cutting edge of fashion or the latest trend.

Like someone who looked great without really trying and wouldn't believe you if you told her how great she looked. Pushed didn't come off with that sense of inflated self worth, or like the world revolved around her. She reminded me of Anne Hathaway.

No there's a lot more to people than just looks but maybe her humility was part of what caught my eye?

Regardless it was a real shame to see someone like that with such a jerk.

Part of my problem is I don't much tolerance for people like that. I got thrown out of a movie theater years ago because I got into it with the concession stand guy. I was on a date and this woman in front of me asked for nachos with cheese on the side. This punk kid (I say punk kid now I'm 37 and was in my early 20's then so this kid was probably 18-19 yrs old then) who worked there just piled the cheese on her nachos. She objected politely and the punk kid refused to fix her order.

He told her that's what she ordered and if she wanted a new one that she'd have to purchase another order. Gave some comment like "well it's not my fault your too stupid to get your order right"

Well.....I heard that because we were the next people in line and I said to mr nacho guy something about "just make another order it's not like it's coming out of your check" comment because it looked like this lady was going to just accept her cheese covered nacho fate.

Words get exchanged I remember threatening to come over the counter and inflict predictably great bodily harm upon said nacho server as well as make the lady nachos she originally asked for.....manager comes over....lady gets replacement nachos she ordered the way she wanted them in the first place and a free drink and candy, I get kicked out for threatening the nacho clown server and his probably his family tree of nacho clown servers.

Needless to say my date ditched me telling me to go watch the movie and she would get her own ride home and maybe I should go ask out the upset customer and refused to take my calls after that.

I never went back to that theater either.