pressure canned corn

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used a pressure cooker for the first time for corn followed all the instructions in the ball canning book, all the juice came out is it still safe to use?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hopefully some one else will chime in on this. I had that happen with one jar of green beans this year. I just refrigerated it, and we ate it the next day. I didn't feel it would keep well, but don't know for sure. Do you think the lids weren't on as tight as needed? or the pressure changed to quickly at some point?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did the lids seal? Did all the juice come out of all of them or just some of them? Did all the juice come out of the individual jars or just some of the juice?

It's not that unusual for some juice to come out when canning. Getting the air bubbles out and getting the head space right are important. If the canner pressure gets too high or the pressure drops too fast you can lose liquid. Having the screw ring too loose can cause some liquid to come out even if it seals OK. Having the screw ring too tight can cause the lid to crinkle and you can lose liquid. I consider these unsafe, refrigerate, and eat.

I sometimes lose maybe a half inch of liquid in some of my corn and don't worry about it as long as it seals properly. The corn up out of the liquid might turn brown and be a little unappetizing to eat, but I just scrape that off. I consider it still safe to eat.

I can't imagine what would cause you to lose all the liquid out of all of them.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so unsure of my canning skills and have had major fails in the past. We freeze nearly everything. To do sweet corn, we cut it off the cob, put in large pan with a stick of butter. Heat until hot throughout. Them put in freezer bags. YUMMY when heated at winter and spring meals. Tasted like fresh corn. My only guess is there was a seal failure. :(

meatburner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That is weird. As mentioned above, something was wrong and I would refrigerate or freeze them. Loosing a little fluid is not a biggy, but loosing most of the fluid is a canning failure. We have actually reverted to freezing corn instead of pressure canning it to get a better texture and taste. IMO.
the1honeycomb, did you loose most of the liquid in all of the jars?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so unsure of my canning skills and have had major fails in the past. We freeze nearly everything. To do sweet corn, we cut it off the cob, put in large pan with a stick of butter. Heat until hot throughout. Them put in freezer bags. YUMMY when heated at winter and spring meals. Tasted like fresh corn. My only guess is there was a seal failure. :(
A whole stick of butter!? :ep No wonder it's good. Ha

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've been doing cream-style corn in the canner and just love it.

In addition to what you've already been told, if you took care to remove the air bubbles with the long spatula when you packed it, it could be something to do with the quality of the corn in that batch. Perhaps it set around too long? Sometimes foods end up having a lot of air within them. That's part of why they say use freshly picked, high-quality produce. It will have the correct density. I've had it happen a couple of times too with different things. Or it may be that the temp/pressure got too high or had quick swings up or down and it boiled out. And double-check that you left the full 1" of headspace too.

It would be worthwhile to try again. I've done corn both ways and we found we preferred it canned, both in taste and being quick and easy to prepare later.

Latest posts