Procrastination - 0......Tomato cages - 2

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Was getting to the point that sayin', "Awww, I'll build em, tomorrow", wasn't gonna "cut it". LOL

6615_2zz.jpg

6615_3zz.jpg

6615_5zz.jpg

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow! Nice looking plants. I would have my lettuce, bacon and mayonaise ready and waiting! Yes, it's noon and I'm hungry. :lol:

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice I put my cages on when I planted the plants! so I wouldn't forget completely and have tomatoes in the isles like last year!!
Your plants are so far ahead of mine i have flowers though

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean... I have to make a point of putting the stakes in the SAME day as the tomatoes, or else I will procrastinate too (and pay for it later!) :p

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have got to build better cages. mine aren't tall enough or strong enough. I still end up with tomato plants sprawling in the isles. I am going to prune them this year so that should help. I didn't do that last year.
your tomatoes are so pretty.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ugh, I still have 9 Romas to cage. The rest of the maters are staked, well except for 4 of them.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those look great!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cages when I plant. I'm the same way if I don't do it then then I'm kicking myself and to get something else to help em.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like your double cage/double stake technique, Boggy.

I used to put about a dozen+ plants in those kind of livestock fence cages. Then, I began growing more plants and the cage approach just got to be too much.

One thing I was doing was putting stakes in with my cages. First, I used 1 stake, then 2, then 3 stakes per plant/per cage!!! All of this, to keep the plants from toppling over late in the season.

As I transitioned away from using cages, I tried just 3 stakes with baling twine around each plant, no cage. Why had I bothered with cages if I needed 3 stakes to keep them from falling over? I asked myself! Later, I used the 1 stake with the plant tied to it . . . altho' there were years where I just let 'em sprawl, mostly out of laziness.

What I hadn't considered was attaching cages together in pairs/with the stakes - I can see how it would work well. Maybe I will get back to cages as the tomato patch shrinks a little. Hey! I've got nearly 10 less plants this year than the last several!

Steve

Latest posts