Propagation In Full Swing!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was looking around yesterday and was thinking, wow I have made a lot of plants so far.

I thought I would share with my friends.
The wine bottles are an experiment on solar heat for the Sunroom, although I am getting ready to move the wood burning stove back in position.

100_8483.jpg

These red cups work well! I use a wood burner/ like a solder iron, to burn holes in the bottom. Be sure to do this upwind outdoors!

100_8484.jpg

As you can see the Plumaria is starting to show positive signs of rooting.

100_8485.jpg

I am putting pots everywhere as you can see. The four little pots are the Blue Lily of the Nile, they are going to Ron and Beefy.

100_8486.jpg

Over here is my propagation sweet spot! I can take cuttings like Umbrella plant and Rubber Tree and just strike them right in the ground. Most times pert near all cuttings take in this spot!

100_8487.jpg

My seed starting spot. The Pumpkin pans were cheap after the holiday was over. I don't think the seedlings care! I don't eat cake or cookies so I can't just save them like Steve does. Thanks for the idea Steve.

100_8488.jpg

Some Wood Rose seeds here. The seed was huge so I thought the cups were in order.

100_8489.jpg

Here are those Pony Tail Palms. After all said and done for about $12.00 I got 35 Ponies! In a few years they will be worth about $15.00 each.

100_8490.jpg

The sun room is also filling up!

100_8491.jpg

I think I have post this picture before but here it is again.
Almost all of these are doing good. Not much root yet but soon I am sure.

100_8337.jpg

Come Spring I am going to be ready to sell plants! I am thinking of setting up that 20 foot long trailer as a mobile Nursery.

I had a small Nursery years ago and the legal end is not to bad nor to expensive. I wonder if the same nice lady still works for the Ag department. She was so nice ! Her job was to inspect my plants about every other month. She was impressed with my stock for not using pesticides. Every thing was always pest free pretty much.

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, Joe, that is just amazing. And I thought I had a lot going on!

As for your selling end of things, I have a book I would like to offer you. I will need to go thru them but we came in to stacks upon stacks of gardening books and magazines and one of them covers the business end of growing.....I thought of you immediately when I saw it :)

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Wow, Joe, that is just amazing. And I thought I had a lot going on!

As for your selling end of things, I have a book I would like to offer you. I will need to go thru them but we can in to stacks upon stacks of gardening books and magazines and one of them covers the business end of growing.....I thought of you immediately when I saw it :)
Thank you Journey.

Crystal that would be wonderful.
I would be happy to return the favor with some more plants!

Joe

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything looks absolutely gorgeous, Joe! I am so envious of your wonderful green thumb- and your great weather!! I would greatly appreciate it, if you would post pics like that in February. By then, I'll be looking out at gray skies and heaps of snow, and they will really cheer me up!! I can't imagine that your business won't be a great success. It is so fun to buy a plant from someone who is passionate about growing! Good luck!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was also thinking about doing some selling this year. Or not so much selling as in I intend on planting more seedlings than I need and if any survived the horrors of Natalie propagation then they can be offered to others.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wow, Joe, thats a lot of plants. your steps looks fun to navigate. i simply must know, whats up with the remote control?
what kind of palm is that in the redcup? is that a big desert rose over on the right?? i am in the process of rooting one now.
you really scored on those ponytails.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well thank you all for the positive comments!

Lesa I will be sure to keep some sunshine and plant pictures coming through out Winter for you!

Obsessed that is a good idea. A good way to make friends to!

Ron of course the tour comes with music! It is getting a little tricky pulling a hose around that's for sure. I almost need a crew like when they use a fire hose.

Beefy the remote is for the outdoor TV. The Palm is not in the red cup but it does look like it. It is just a elegans, also called a Parlor Palm.
I need to separate them yet. I have been waiting for them to dry out a little. They were floating in the pot!

Yes that is a Desert Rose. After the thread on Bonsai I did a little work on it and will post a photo soon. I think it came out pretty cool looking.

I will be sending you and Ron each some of the Ponies!

Joe

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
injunjoe said:
The Pumpkin pans were cheap after the holiday was over. I don't think the seedlings care! I don't eat cake or cookies so I can't just save them like Steve does. Thanks for the idea Steve.
I used some containers that look just look those, that I got from the grocery store with fried chicken in them. They had the same clear lids.

Come Spring I am going to be ready to sell plants! I am thinking of setting up that 20 foot long trailer as a mobile Nursery.

I had a small Nursery years ago and the legal end is not to bad nor to expensive. I wonder if the same nice lady still works for the Ag department. She was so nice ! Her job was to inspect my plants about every other month. She was impressed with my stock for not using pesticides. Every thing was always pest free pretty much.

Joe
There may a real market for this in 2010. Sounds great!!

Latest posts