Protected growing

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
My greenhouse tomatoes reflect the benefit of protected growing, as this is the weekend that people in my growing zone, 5B, can safely put their tomatoes in the ground. The greenhouse plants already have several trusses in flower and have set some fruit. I am thinking that perhaps I will have my first ripe tomato sometime in June. The small pots on the floor are ginger and Ava's lettuce, which she better harvest soon or it will go to seed.
jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took a chance and planted mine outside last weekend. The long range forecast had the night temps in the forties, then, they changed it and Tuesday issued a frost alert. We missed the frost by six degrees though. Ava's dad had to cover her garden, as they are further north. The plants were all started the same day, but the garden plants are about a foot tall and have a single truss each. The growing conditions made a huge difference. I planted the tomatoes in the greenhouse in mid April, and only had to turn the heat on at night a few times, well, perhaps five times.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tomatoes sure love heat! I put mine in the ground about two and a half weeks ago and they are still settling in. This has remained a pretty temperate Spring in SE PA, but it has remained quite cold in New England.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started mine indoors, on the breakfast table. I set them out, but we had rain and low temperatures. The plants just sat there. I finally saw blooms last week.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, I've just shut off the spring greenhouse heat ... for good ... I think.

If it's gonna be 45°f briefly in the AM, I figure it isn't a good enough reason to keep those eggplants and that basil above 60°, all night. Tuff love ...

They have to go out to harden-off. The tomatoes and peppers haven't had any extra heat for about 10 days, now. Nothing but plastic film between them and the low-40's ... no more Poppa Steve showing up at their door at 3AM with an electric heater ;).

Time for the little ducklings to be following on out into the open water. We can continue to scurry into the tent at nightfall just a few more times.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve,
Our temps have been in the low 40s at night and I am running no heat. The residual heat from the day carries over to keep the plants happy. I am, hopefully, looking forward to an early bumper crop from the greenhouse. As an experiment I have a selection of both greenhouse and regular varieties in there: Tropic, (greenhouse), Super Beefsteak (regular), Mortgage Lifter (heirloom) and Arbason (greenhouse). They all are doing great at this point; lots of blossoms and setting nice fruit. All seems to be going too well so far, but I am waiting for one of Murphy's laws to kick in.
jackb

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Come on, Jackb! Be positive. There's no reason you'll be seeing frost weather again until fall. Now, that doesn't mean Red says to plant them outside, but just not to worry overmuch about those in the greenhouse.

Latest posts