Pruning Help - Cherry Tree (Photos Attached)

Brian2412

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum (and gardening), but have benefited a lot from others here. I've been reading all I can about pruning, and believe I have somewhat of an idea, but would like some advice from the group.

I've recently moved to Richland, WA (Eastern Washington) and have several trees that were growing in my yard that are struggling to say the least. We are zone 7 (although, probably closer to a high 6). My soil is like beach sand when I dig. I have plenty of water available, but this is a desert (hot summers, cold winters with minimal precip ~7 inches a year). At the recommendation of the local nursery, I added soil ammendments to try to help the trees (cutting out grass around the base) and mixing native soil with compost. I've also staked these younger trees to assist them with our high spring winds.

Attached are photo's of a "4 in 1" Cherry tree. My goals for this tree are to grow it much larger for shade and to produce fruit for my children to pick as they grow up (newborn and 2 1/2 years). I'm a little puzzled on pruning this because of the different varieties grafted on. The first photo is unedited. The second photo includes labels of the branches for easier discussion. The third photo shows my proposed pruning cuts (in red) and added spacers (in Orange - correct me if I don't need them). I planted this in early fall to replace a dead tree that the original occupants planted with the rootball still wrapped in plastic. I plan on pruning all of my trees in the late winter, but before spring (probably early February). Can you please give me advice? Thanks!

fwwa.jpg

klej.jpg

qbio.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll let others answer your specific questions. I'll just mention something I did. Instead of spacers to get the angle, I drove a stake in the ground and tied the branches down to get the correct angle. I used sisal and tied a bowline (a non-slip non-tightening knot) around the branch to keep from strangling it. You can use many different things to keep from getting a tight string around the limb. I was worried about the spacer coming out due to tree movement in the wind. What I did worked well, but I didn't take any photos of it.

In sand, instead of a stake, you might try burying a board or piece of something with a lot of surface area with a string tied to it. I've used that before to stake a tent on the beach. Worked a lot better than stakes when that squall came through.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I am not a professional at pruning, but I've pruned a lot of apple trees and a couple peach and one cherry.

To me, I really don't see that this tree will need a lot of pruning at this point. It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but what I would look at first if it were me, is to see if any of the smaller spurs are heading inward toward the center of the tree or toward any other main limb. Those I would take out.

I do see a little foreshadowing of an imbalance to the tree's overall shape when I look at limb "J" to the left. It is a larger heavier limb and if left alone it will take the tree in that direction. I know you said you want this for a shade tree in your lawn, but as far as a cherry tree goes, that bit of lean will not hurt the tree and I think it adds a little abstract beauty.

So, if it were me, I'd leave most of your smaller limbs alone and wait until it gets some more growth on it and prune any spurs that head inward. And if you're going for a nice round shape I'd take that larger taller limb down quite a bit so that its new spurs will round out the shape.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Brian again
2sgn052welcomewagon.gif
to TEG.

I like what Journey said and seems like good advice.

I would like to ask though; Did John Madden help you with this play? :lol: :gig :weee

Sorry I can't help myself sometimes.

Beans & Corn

Sprout
Reaction score
The Big rule is to take out the ones that interfere with the branches that angle out or go straight out or one that point in toward the tree

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Brian - first of all, :welcome

journey11 said:
So, if it were me, I'd leave most of your smaller limbs alone and wait until it gets some more growth on it and prune any spurs that head inward. And if you're going for a nice round shape I'd take that larger taller limb down quite a bit so that its new spurs will round out the shape.
I agree with journey. Since it's a '4 in 1' cherry tree, my first concern would be cutting back those taller limbs (limb J!) to round out the overall shape of the tree, which would allow even growth of the different grafted varieties. If allowed to grow unchecked, those tall branches would probably take over and choke out the others....leaving you with a '2 in 1' or '1 in 1' cherry tree. :p

Then again, if you want it to quickly become a shade tree....just let the fast growing branches do their thing....

Latest posts