Pumpkin tips?

Chickie2378

Leafing Out
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
OldGuy43 said:
The only time I grew pumpkins was completely by accident. My girlfriend at the time wanted to carve a Halloween pumpkin so we bought one. She than lost interest and it got sat behind the house and forgotten. You guessed it, next spring vines and pumpkins galore. It is my theory that if you tend them, they die. :D
How true! A friend of mine loves his plants, and struggled to grow nice gardenias. The guy next door, never home, stuck over a dozen bushes in the ground one weekend, and promptly ignored them. Guess whose was bigger? :lol:
Yup--honest to goodness it is always the way.

so best to sit back, scatter seeds in a pasture not used, far by the treeline and RUN and don't look back. :p

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do not know that this is accurate, but I have always been told that the way to get big pumpkins or watermelons is to pinch off all but one blossom. The reasoning is that the vine then puts all its resources into the one fruit. Someone with a lot more experience want to comment?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
I do not know that this is accurate, but I have always been told that the way to get big pumpkins or watermelons is to pinch off all but one blossom. The reasoning is that the vine then puts all its resources into the one fruit. Someone with a lot more experience want to comment?
That is what I've heard about growing the real big ones.