Question about Rutabaga's

SouthernFarmer1984

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeah when me and my mom go to the store we see wax on Rutabaga's and i was just wondering,on a site it says don't use wax if your going to store them cause it will injury the plant.I'm planning on selling my rutabaga's and was wondering can i just wash them off and sell them as is?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I would sure think so.

The wax may well have to be government approved for that use and not real easy to find. I don't know.

I do know that local health districts and state agencies have restrictions on what can be done with fresh produce. It is usually an absolute minimum. Changing the veggies may mean that you are now doing "food preparation" and falling into an entirely different category than "farmer."

Here's an example: some of the roots may be required on green onions. They are a vegetable but chop them up and they are prepared food. Farmers have few restrictions. Food trucks or restaurants have many.

Rinse with clean water, protect from heat, transport appropriately, and do not contaminate with anything - you should be fine with the regulations.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The wax is for long term storage. No need for it, if they are to be eaten fresh.

Latest posts