rabbits and broccoli don't mix

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
rabbits ate down 54 plants of my broccoli and it is now starting to grow new leaves do you think it will still produce heads or will it need to be replaced with new plants?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I think they will produce heads and I think you need a fence...
Yep i would agree with lesa, they should be able to grow new heads. I would even use an electric fence but then again the rabbits could still crawl under. A fence made from chicken wire or wire mesh should be fine.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not had that specific experience with broccoli. I'm sure it will form heads. Whether it will grow normally or send up a lot of suckers and forms several smaller heads, I don't know. I don't know if it would be better to take out all the suckers that come back but one and let that one grow to try to get a bigger head. I'd probably just let it go without removing any suckers, but I really have no experience to back that up.

Not much help, I know.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Contrary to your subject line, they mix quite well. I prefer them as Steamed on the Broccoli and Fried on the Rabbit but I suppose you could always do a cassorole and bbq thumper? ;)

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i put up a fence of chicken wire about 4 ft high i replace some of them so i hope they still grow heads and even if they grow suckers a least they won't total be a lost.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You will have Broccoli Rabb and that is the best! A great addition to sandwiches or quickly stir fried in butter and garlic. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a rabbit invasion one year and they, literally, ate at least part of every single broccoli leaf on about 25 plants.

I fertilized heavily (organic), gathered soil up around them and watered them well. That year, I had perhaps the best broccoli harvest ever :) !

The only plant that did essentially nothing, I missed with this treatment. It was growing off by itself for some reason. The head it produced was about the size of a quarter :/.

They need special TLC and they should respond well.

Steve

Latest posts