1. Announcing the new awards/recognition feature - medals!
    Read MORE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. TEG Featured Thread: Wine not? A great way to enjoy your produce
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

4. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

Radishes and squash

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by obsessed, May 16, 2010.

1. May 16, 2010
    obsessed

obsessed Deeply Rooted

Last year I was totally plagued by the vine borer. I lost three different crops.

This year I let my early radishes go to flowering and no vine borer. I know that I am chancing it by even posting this but I think it does work.

I am also totally amazed at the size of radishes as they bloom. They are freakin huge like 3 to 4 feet tall. I let a lot of them flower hoping that more would be better. I will probably do it again.
  2. May 16, 2010
    Chickie'sMomaInNH

Chickie'sMomaInNH Deeply Rooted

when you go to pull the radishes you will have a fight on your hands! :lol: they get a really loooong tap root when you let them go to seed. but companion planting seems to work really well for keeping pests at bay from your main plant. and another benefit of letting the radishes go to seed is you won't have to buy more seeds for them next season! :p
  3. May 16, 2010
    desertgirl

desertgirl Garden Ornament

I just planted a bunch of radishes around my squash and cucs for this reason. Glad to hear it works!!
  4. May 16, 2010
    lesa

lesa Garden Addicted

Just planted mine yesterday- hoping for the best. Either way, it seems like awfully cheap insurance!
  5. May 17, 2010
    desertgirl

desertgirl Garden Ornament

:happy_flower Yup!
  6. May 17, 2010
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Addicted

Several sites specifically mention icicle radishes, not the red ones, for help with squash borer. I don't know if the red ones are any less effective or not. Just thought I would mention it.
  7. May 17, 2010
    Grow 4 Food

Grow 4 Food Garden Ornament

I planted icle around my squash and zukes so hopefully I will get the same outcome! DONT PULL OUT THE RADISHES YET!!! wait until they form the seed pods (looks like a soybean). They are the BEST in salads or just eating them straight. I have almost started growing the radishes for them more than the radish.
  8. May 18, 2010
    vfem

vfem Garden Addicted

I grow the icicle... I never thought of checking the reds! Thanks for mentioning that!
  9. May 20, 2010
    obsessed

obsessed Deeply Rooted

Well to my dismay I see evidence of the vine borer. :( Radish or no radish that bug is persistent.

So now I guess I go looking for BT to inject the plants. I am thinking about giving up on squash for a year. Cause I read that the eggs of the borer will be in my soil. So floating row covers is not an option and I don't have any more space to rotate.

Stupid bug didn't read the book.
  10. Jul 13, 2010
    Grow 4 Food

Grow 4 Food Garden Ornament

Not sure if something else got to them or what but they seemed to die quicker this year than before with the radishes. I have lost all my squash, zukes, and cukes this year. :he