raised beds

jennh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had gotten 96 concrete blocks to build four 4 x 4 raised beds. :weight Here are two sketches that I quickly drew. Does anyone have an opinion , preference with one over the other, and why? I need to get this built QUICKLY, so I can get my 'mator, zucchini and cucumber plants in.

7187_raised_bed_001.jpg

7187_raised_bed_002.jpg

I am planning to leave a grass strip in between for ease of mowing for now. I might do something else instead of grass later. right now I need it done ASAP !! :bee

Thanks!!!!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wait, that's not a burn barrel you will be using during the growing season, is it?

If so, I'd keep the beds much further away. Roasted tomatoes are good; roasted tomato PLANTS, not so much LOL

As far as the two designs, they are basically the same just rotated (although one has points of beds towards burn barrel, other has sides towards it) so it seems to me it just depends on what would look/work best with the REST of your yard.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know that's probably not to scale, but how close are you to the burn barrel? I have a fire-pit about 15 feet from one of my apple trees and with the wind blowing the wrong way, I managed to scorch the backside of my poor tree's branches this spring. :p

3' in is as far as I can reach, leaning. But you'll be able to move around to the other side, so your squares shouldn't be a problem.

jennh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I know that's probably not to scale, but how close are you to the burn barrel? I have a fire-pit about 15 feet from one of my apple trees and with the wind blowing the wrong way, I managed to scorch the backside of my poor tree's branches this spring. :p

3' in is as far as I can reach, leaning. But you'll be able to move around to the other side, so your squares shouldn't be a problem.
No. it's not to scale LOL I just drew it quickly. There is going to be 2 feet the whole way around the burn barrel, and two feet paths between the beds. I know there will lots more # between the two "sets" of 4 X 4s. I made them 4 X 4 so I can reach in from all sides. DH is working hard on making them level :love
There are no trees nearby, it's out in the open. I have a nice long hose in case I need it ever, though. If I put one tomato plant in the middle of each raised bed, there will be about 4 feet between the plant and the barrel. At least 'til the plant gets big. That is if I ever get them planted :barnie :he

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just 2' away from the burn barrel is almost certainly going to be a problem, unless you don't use the burn barrel til the garden is completely done for the year.

A lot of HEAT can come off those things, partway sideways when there's a bit of a breeze.

Pat

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe instead of the burn barrel in the center, you could do a round bed for 1 tomato plant. Or a bed of strawberries.

jennh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:tools Thanx for the replies! The burn barrel has been there a couple of years, that's why it's not a teepee, or anything else! I just needed room for some raised beds, that's the only space that was available that gets full sun. DH is out there now ( in the 90 deg) filling them with compost so I can at least get a couple in later this evening. I will post pics :D

Latest posts