Raising rabbits naturally

CluckyJay

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know someone that purchased a den that you bury. Her rabbit loved it and never dug out of its pen. Surely its possible to make enough safe, easily accessible burrows for the rabbits? That's what I am planning on trying when we get going with them.

CluckyJay

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I have tentative plans for my rabbit yard and wanted to incorporate this buried den idea. :D

CluckyJay

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I think the Internet gremlins ate the PM, lol.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HMM. I must have done something wrong. It doesn't show in my sent box either. I'll resend it. Found the problem. My mailbox was full to capacity. I deleted some of the old messages so it should be there now.

Farmgirlie

Sprout
Reaction score
I am doing some research about raising rabbits naturally in a large pen and found your post during my search. I love the idea of having a few rabbits in a large pen/fenced lot ...and that is exactly what I was looking for when I found this! I would really like to learn more about it. I am just starting my research on raising a few rabbits in general, but would love to be able to do it this way if that would work. We have plenty of room.

I also like the idea of "a den that you bury" that I read about in one of the replies.

Any info would be very helpful to me. I am so glad to have found this site ...as my husband and I also enjoy a little gardening!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like the idea of rabbits on the ground as opposed to being in cages. I raise my quail on the ground despite a vast majority of people raising them in pens on wire. They exhibit more natural behavior being on the ground and since I started with a typical wire cage, I actually have a basis for comparison. I imagine it would be the same for rabbits. Of course, you could provide an enriched cage environment too, but it would require more space.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Google rabbit tractors there are people doing something similar to what you mention Wifezilla

Farmgirlie

Sprout
Reaction score
We got 3 little Netherland Dwarf Bunnies today! We put them in the lot. It is a space where we used to have chickens, nice and grassy with some stout tall Polk weeds, almost like little trees. They offer plenty of shade in about a 1/3 of the lot. I will have to check daily that no one is trying to dig out...or in!

We dug a slight "hole" inside the house that sits in the middle of the lot, as it has a dirt floor, so they can lay down in the dirt where it will be cooler. Two of them love the house, the other one is checking out the outdoor "woods" a lot. I will let you know how it goes. I know it is very early yet.

Latest posts