raspberry watering question.

chrissum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just planted a few raspberry bushes, zone 5 and the instructions state check often and water till established.
How often should I water them, it is October and will be frosting soon. Any other tips for these new plants for the upcoming winter I should do? Thanks in advance!

chrissum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks! They are Heritage Everbearing.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here we don't need to water over the winter -- the ground is frozen. I do make sure new plants are well-watered going into the freeze and I mulch well to prevent heaving. You know better what weather conditions you experience for the winter. Enough moisture is probably the most important factor in getting a new plant started so give the raspberries water if your winter is dry.

chrissum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks Smart Red! I'll water them once a week till the first freeze then watch them after that.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hide i've left lots of plants in their pots over winter. i had a couple Fall Gold raspberries do that last winter and still survived to give me a few berries this summer. if i can't get to planting things i make sure they are mulched well before the snow flies.

just mulch well and this should help them survive.

chrissum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks Chickie's MomalnN! I will get the mulch this weekend!