Raw milk scare

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
They've been pouring in like water for years now and I've seen no difference in my wages or anyone else's wages around me and we have immigrants all over this state. They will take the jobs that no one else is willing to work any longer because they feel the wages in those jobs are too low for them...used to folks would work those jobs but not any longer, or they don't wish to work hard for the money they get. The immigrant labor force fill a need and do it very well.

I have three boys and not a one is feeling threatened by immigrant labor. They find work just fine, even in this state that has huge unemployment rates, and they manage to live on the wages they earn.

That dog just won't hunt. Been hearing it for years but haven't seen any changes at all in wages due to immigrant populations. In fact, the immigrants are really being ripped off for the hard work they do and no more pay than people will give them for doing it. It's not that they will work for cheap, it's that they are being taken advantage of because folks know they need to feed their families so they offer them the lowest pay possible.

I don't see anyone else stepping up to pick tomatoes on these big farms...used to college kids would work there but they turn up their noses at the small pay and hard work now, so in steps the migrant worker.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed then you aren't paying attention. Jobs pay much less with little to no benefits. You said it, huge unemployment rates. All jobs should pay a living pay. Too many jobs are part time, no benefits, low pay. Most of it is AG because people don't want to pay for their food. I say, let the people pay. They have no problem paying for Internet, TV, cars, trucks, vaca, etc. it's all about priorities in life.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy see what can of worms you opened?? :)

Dairy really isn't any harder than any other AG job. It just stinks.... Large commercial dairies can handle regular shifts like a city job. Whereas a small dairy is married to those girls.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed then you aren't paying attention. Jobs pay much less with little to no benefits. You said it, huge unemployment rates. All jobs should pay a living pay. Too many jobs are part time, no benefits, low pay. Most of it is AG because people don't want to pay for their food. I say, let the people pay. They have no problem paying for Internet, TV, cars, trucks, vaca, etc. it's all about priorities in life.

Trust me on this...I'm paying attention. I live in a state that every single rich, white developer takes advantage of it due to the cheap labor force...the native population. We can identify with the immigrant workers because we ARE the cheap labor. Have been for a 100 yrs now, as each new wave of rich folks sweep through the Appalachians and rape the land of natural resources, taking advantage of the local labor force that just want to work and live and feed their families.

Our wages aren't threatened by the immigrant worker simply because we already have low wages. They aren't getting any lower simply because immigrant workers come here to work, they were at the bottom already. We could have half of Mexico take up camp in this state and it wouldn't drive the wages any lower. That's why we laugh at this whole fast food minimum wage thing...those folks are asking for a wage I didn't start making until I was a nurse for 15 yrs.

Maybe where folks are living fat on high wages the whole immigration thing is making some kind of impact...here it's not. Nor do I see them driving down the economy anywhere else...when folks can afford to pay $350 for a garden gate, this country ain't hurtin' a bit. ;)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree on areas of the country. I'm amazed at cost of living some on here pay.

Here's what you don't get. Immigrant help works at a lower wage thus forcing locals to also work at a lower wage. IF outsiders want workers, let them pay. Real tired of the rich, hiring them cheap so they can keep more of their money plus have the perks. Either let them clean their own houses, raise their own kids OR pay a living wage.

I get your pain at others starting at what it took you years to get to (I have same problem in AG wages) but my holding wages down for new workers doesn't help me. While everyone thinks Mexican immigrants I can tell you there are other immigrant workers from other countries here doing the same thing.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess the culprits are not the immigrants, then, but those who pay them a low wage in the first place. I see it differently then other folks in this country....I see it more globally and see them as actual people. They were just unfortunate to be born in a different country than us. There but for the grace of God go I.

I'm content with the level of money I make, I'm content with living small, I'm content with living where I am and living how I am. I don't see these people as a threat, rather I see them as being exploited, both in their country and in ours. Exploited by us, our neighbors, Americans.

I've seen things as a nurse that would make people cry if they got to see it...how some of these migrant workers are forced to live and work, how they don't understand our language enough to even give medicine to their kids...life saving medicine...so their kids die horrible deaths. They are stuck between worlds and just trying to survive. I don't see them as the enemy or as the whipping boy...they just ARE. Just like I AM.

The ones I know are hard, hard workers and are living quiet lives that don't bother anyone. You are right...I don't see what you see at all.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
sorry about the worms.:hide

Worms help a garden grow! These kind of discussions help minds grow. They aren't arguments, merely discussions. Folks get to give their point of view...from where they are living and viewing it. It's a GOOD thing. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are not forced. I remember my relatives fighting the fight for fair wages (called unions-they were threatened). They can as well.
My relatives grew up in area with no or very low paying jobs, they moved, obeyed the laws and prospered. It's not that hard.

Agree @Beekissed not taking anything personnal, just a different point of view.

Latest posts