Ready for the season

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our mild winter continues, and I have the greenhouse ready for the season a full six weeks earlier than last season. I spent the better part of the day washing the polycarbonate panels, inside and out. That is the only part of greenhouse growing that I do not enjoy. I used a mixture of one part white vinegar to two parts water to clean the panels. It did a great job, and the vinegar/water mixture is easier on your lungs than breathing the spray from commercial cleaning products.

31212.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking good, Jack! I have a few seeds planted in mine, and I just moved out an asparagus fern. I think we are a full month ahead of last year! Looking forward to a long and successful gardening season!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Looking good, Jack! I have a few seeds planted in mine, and I just moved out an asparagus fern. I think we are a full month ahead of last year! Looking forward to a long and successful gardening season!
I am just wishing I started seeds in early February. Who knew?? :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something I came across when I was making that "natural light" post was that plants in a greenhouse get between 40% and 70% of the sunlight.
It is obvious just to the eye how much better light enters when the glazing is clean than when it is not.

I remember wondering how much shade we were creating installing the lighting fixtures over the plants in the greenhouse. There was more light gained but - there was a price to pay for the electricity but also, shading. Otherwise, we were always so concerned about starting off in spring by hosing off the glass from every direction. That was about the best we could do with so many square feet to cover.

When the light experts talk about getting as much as 70% or as little as 40% of the light thru the glass - that's a great big step up (or down) in what the plants have to work with.

Steve

Latest posts