Really Burpee?

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I ordered a bunch of heirloom tomato seeds and a couple pepper seeds from Burpee two weeks ago. I got them in the mail and there are barely ANYTHING in the packets. I paid almost $4 a piece for this? Then I went to our local hardware store to pick up some stuff for the seeds and lo-and-behold there is a giant display of Burpee seed packets. I go up to the display to compare prices and there was a almost a $2.50 difference!!!! :somad And it seemed like there were way more seeds in each packet. They didn't have some of the varieties that I purchased online but still, that is insane! Then to humor myself, I flipped the packet over to see the "date packaged for season" and they were marked for the 2009 growing season! Our local hardware store usually doesn't carry Burpee seeds so they got the seeds this year. I will not be purchasing from Burpee again unless I have a terrific turn out with my tomatoes :tongue

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen, were the packages dated for the 2009 season the ones you ordered from Burpee or the local hardware stores'?

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
So I ordered a bunch of heirloom tomato seeds and a couple pepper seeds from Burpee two weeks ago. I got them in the mail and there are barely ANYTHING in the packets. I paid almost $4 a piece for this? Then I went to our local hardware store to pick up some stuff for the seeds and lo-and-behold there is a giant display of Burpee seed packets. I go up to the display to compare prices and there was a almost a $2.50 difference!!!! :somad And it seemed like there were way more seeds in each packet. They didn't have some of the varieties that I purchased online but still, that is insane! Then to humor myself, I flipped the packet over to see the "date packaged for season" and they were marked for the 2009 growing season! Our local hardware store usually doesn't carry Burpee seeds so they got the seeds this year. I will not be purchasing from Burpee again unless I have a terrific turn out with my tomatoes :tongue
This is why I don't buy burpee! They cost more for less.... I always get MORE seed in my packets from ParkSeed at 1/2 the price I'd pay for 1/2 the seed through Burpee.

I also just checked my packets and they are ALL marked for the 2012 growing season.

Just like Nacho! Call Customer service tell them what they sent you and ask them to send the correct seed with the correct year or refund you. I'm sure they'll break and correct it, they'd hate losing a customer. But I'd chose the refund (w/ shipping cost) and go buy the seeds locally since you know they're there.

galanie

Sprout
Reaction score
Stores rarely buy directly from a company but rather from a supplier. I'd bet that's what happened here and the supplier gave them outdated seeds. Since they normally don't carry seeds they didn't think to check, or that it might matter.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sample seed shop supposedly sells small packs of seed to those with small gardens but, ironically, their small packs usually contain twice as much seed as the big packs you buy in the big box stores.
It is only in the rare and specialty seeds that the packs only contain a few seeds.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with you Hoodat! Sampleseeds.com got my big order this year and it cost me only a third to fourth of what I would have spent at Burpee. They don't have everything but lots for me to get started. I also want to thank you because it was one of your posts that put me onto the site. Why would that special packaging cost so much more! If I need info on how to plant a specific seed I got, I can always Google it.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The seeds at the hardware store were dated 2009. I checked my seeds and they are dated for the 2012 season, thank goodness. I called customer service and told them what had happened and all they told me was that they could give me a $20 gift certificate for next years season. They also said they will be contacting my local hardware store to figure everything out. At least they are trying to fix it, but I don't think I will be ordering from them again. I'll probably use up my gift certificate on something simple like bean seeds or something.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Depending on the seed variety some seeds remain viable for many years. The Anasazi bean (also known as rattlesnake bean) came from seeds discovered in a dry cave stored in a clay pot. They were estimated to be over 200 years old but to everyones amazement when they were planted they grew into healthy plants. Some other seeds are good only for one season. Here in SoCal we have wild plants with seeds that will grow only when they have been exposed to one of our brush fires. That way, when they sprout they will have no competition from other plants for a few years.

Latest posts