Red-built greenhouse

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love your patience with him, Red....so very sweet and loving! So many people lose patience with the elderly and dementia patients. I have one evil brother who stated he just wished that Dad and Mom would both "just die" because he couldn't stand to be around them as they decline.

I've even worked with nurses who, when a repetitive ALZ patient left the nurses station for the umpteenth time that evening after asking what day it was, stated, "I hate that woman!" :thThese are people who have no business taking care of anyone, let alone working in a nursing home setting.

Red, I've found a wonderful thing for my hoop house that you may eventually want to try on your green house....clear tarps! They are so incredibly sturdy and easy to work with and don't cost any more than any other kind of tarp, but they have a woven fiber within the plastic and they are made of much sturdier stuff than any of my other tarps. Folks in HI say they will last up to 3 yrs in the sun and rain of their climate before showing any wear...I've had mine on for 2 yrs and it shows no wear at all. These tarps are 14 mil.

You know how I don't like to spend money, so normally I would just use plastic on such a thing...but I consider the clear tarp a worthy investment, not only in money, but in time and effort spent applying plastic to a wire frame hoop house. With the grommets of the clear tarp, it's as easy as using zip ties for a secure and tight fit that withstands harsh winds.

I extended my hoop house last year, so will be investing in a bigger clear tarp to accommodate that extra space, but will be repurposing the one I take off to make framed up plastic "windows" to place over my son's screens on his screened in porch for the winter months. It's still in that good of shape...looks brand new after 2 yrs of use.

If choosing the clear tarps, I'd also get a grommet kit and add extra grommets for a nice tie down on your hoops. I did so and am very glad I did...not a whisper of movement when the wind blows here.

I chose the poly because they are cheaper, but they also have an even heavier 20 mil vinyl that's more expensive and would probably last for many, many years. Here's a couple of discount places to get them...I think I got mine off Amazon, but it didn't have as many size choices.

https://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/clear-poly-tarps.html

ttp://www.canopiesandtarps.com/clear-string-tarps.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Canopies%20and%20Tarps%20Main&utm_term=clear%20tarps&utm_content=Clear%20Tarps

If you order, don't order your exact dimensions because the stated measurements are "cut length", meaning that's how big they are before they are hemmed and grommets are applied.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks so much for this info. Bee. I've been putting a blue tarp over the coop extension when it rains. But you know me, I like pretty. Last week I mentioned to my husband if they made clear ones. It would look so much nicer. :)

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I normally put a big ol' green tarp on top of my clear one at this time of year to add some shade and coolness to the coop...it's amazing how well that works, especially this one tarp I have that has blue on one side, green on the other...I place it blue side down.

Come winter the shade tarp is removed and the clear lets in the warmth of the winter sun...that changed the whole nature of my winter coop into something just wonderful. Now it's sunny and light instead of dank and drear. This next winter I hope to hang a few pallets of greens in there for the chicken's pleasure.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Beekissed. I bookmarked the information for future use. I would much prefer the clear plastic, and mine is no where near 14 mil.

We finished the greenhouse today -- everything but the door. Right now I can't get inside without crawling and I'm not gonna do that.

Of course, I forgot the camera in town so I have no photos. I'll post the finished product tomorrow.

ccheek

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am loving your thread @Smart Red. I am in the middle of building what I am hoping will become a "convertible" green house. Praying it turns out even half as good as yours is looking!

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am loving your thread @Smart Red. I am in the middle of building what I am hoping will become a "convertible" green house. Praying it turns out even half as good as yours is looking!
Yes, Smart Red's greenhouse is turning out nicely. However, it is attached to raised beds. So, is not moveable.

The hoop house that DH & I built is two 16' cow panels slightly overlapping (held together with zip ties) and then attached to a box made with 8' 2X4s with 1-3/4" fencing staples. By default, the materials do make it heavy. But, with some effort it is moveable.

We originally built it to be a dog kennel. Since that didn't work out, we are planning to open up the paddock fence so we can move it out of the goat yard, put a tarp over it, to store hay. However, if we needed a greenhouse, we could put clear plastic (love the clear tarp idea!), and have a greenhouse.

Oh, & it is 7' tall at the highest point (in the middle). So, my DH, who is 6'2" can stand up in it.

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, it is not quickly movable as it is, but all the parts are screwed together so they can be taken down. It should be possible to put the same structure over two different raised beds next year.

Still, I do like your 'could be' greenhouse. Movable is a good thing,IMHO.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, it is not quickly movable as it is, but all the parts are screwed together so they can be taken down.
Still, I do like your 'could be' greenhouse. Movable is a good thing,IMHO.
We used screws, as well, but truth be told it would be a pain to take it apart. :eek:

To keep the woven wire & welded wire ends from poking us & the animals, we wound the ends around the edges of the cattle panels. That would make it really hard to take it apart.
1005151653b.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts