Rhubarb in the south??

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

It needs to be planted in a lot of horse/ cow/ chicken compost as well as kept well watered in hot weather. I would also mulch it well in summer & cover with shade cloth if you are in a hot climate as it is much more likely to try to go to seed. The moment you see a tall phallic stalk (no leaf) cut that off at the base, otherwise it will stop producing young tasty leafy stalks for that year.

Good Luck :)

Hattie

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My MIL hasn't had any trouble growing rhubarb in Seymour (near Pigeon Forge, TN). I will say that when she lived in Bristol, TN, her rhubarb patch was more prolific. Whether it was because Bristol's summer temperatures are usually a few degrees cooler than those of middle & west TN, OR if it was a difference in soil...:idunno. My guess is the difference in soil was the main factor.

algopurple

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hencackle said:
My MIL hasn't had any trouble growing rhubarb in Seymour (near Pigeon Forge, TN). I will say that when she lived in Bristol, TN, her rhubarb patch was more prolific. Whether it was because Bristol's summer temperatures are usually a few degrees cooler than those of middle & west TN, OR if it was a difference in soil...:idunno. My guess is the difference in soil was the main factor.
I would think temps since it is cooler up that way. They always get snow and ice more than we do in west TN. I am as west as you can get, right on the border.

Latest posts