Rodent digging up seeds

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We've always had a field mice problem. They like to come in our house through the back door because it stays open. We catch them and release them in the desert away from our house. But, now something has dug up all my corn,okra and pumpkin seeds. I've now planted twice and am ready to give up. DH sprayed poison in the rodent hole. He also sprayed the wall and the PVC Pipe that holds the electric fence. But, whatever it is (mice or ground squirrel) keeps coming back. Any suggestions?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't want to sound trite, but, get some cats. And close the back door.
Are there trees around your property, where hawks and owls can perch while hunting? If not, you might want to provide some kind of high perches.
You are probably going to have to start killing them when you catch them. If it is not they who come back, it might be their offspring.
There is a mouse/rat poison called "Just One Bite" that works very well. Check it out.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks I'll look the poison up. Unfortunately we can't do cats my dogs would eat them. And living in SW Texas means no trees nothing green really unless you grow it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you sure it is rodents? I have lost my corn patch seeds 3 times in one year to birds. If it is birds- you can cover the dirt with deer netting. If it is mice- definitely time to start killing them.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I thought about birds too. After looking there's little holes where each plant was.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am betting birds then...A farmer friend has a "cannon" that makes noise to scare the birds away from her fields.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it's birds you can hang old CD's or that reflective bird scare tape around your garden. I think the tape might be more effective than the CD's unless you hang a lot of them.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't see where the CD's did anything to deter birds in my orchard. Neither did helium filled Micky and Minny Mouse(s) or water guns. I'd vote for covering the ground with a deterrent.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't see where the CD's did anything to deter birds in my orchard. Neither did helium filled Micky and Minny Mouse(s) or water guns. I'd vote for covering the ground with a deterrent.
In our neck of the woods in Cal., the crows , starlings, blackbirds, bluejays, mockingbirds, and sparrows just boogy with the CDs . The reflective tape, owls , rubber snakes, and cannon noise became a curiousity after seeing them for a short time. Here in Wash., the robbins have learned to find an opening in / under netting and enjoy a feast of blue berries, strawberries, cherries, etc. too .

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Owls, rubber snakes, and scarecrows do work for a while. Being retired, I was able to move mine a couple of times a day. That was the only way I found of keeping the birds off my cherry trees. A hawk flew away with one of my snakes. What a surprise that turned out to be for him/her!

This year I am trying cherry sized Christmas ornaments. If I hang them on early and the birds find they don't taste well at all, then perhaps they won't bother the real cherries when they ripen. That, the scarecrow, and Kaolin clay are what my hopes are pinned on for a good harvest without half-eaten berries.