Rodiola rosea

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have any of you frostbitten northerners tried to grow this? :lol:

It's a great cold-hardy medicinal, and it dramatically boosts your energy levels. I may actually be one zone too much to grow it myself. The part that you use is the root, dried. We've actually taken it ourselves and went on a little Rodiola craze, then it started getting expensive. It's almost like the northern equivalent of chia!

upload_2014-2-27_19-41-51.jpeg
upload_2014-2-27_19-42-6.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodiola_rosea

I was thinking about trying it myself and planting it in the late fall or something...

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A friend of mine grows it, she calls it rose root. It's a stonecrop and I think it takes a while to grow a good potent root, like years.

I grow several stonecrops but they are most likely all cultivated sedums, some not ID'd because there are so many.

I would tell you more but you used the word 'frostbitten'... :p ... :lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting discussion. Another miracle plant. What I read on Internet (it has to be true) says roots are prime at 6-7 years, then go down hill fast.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know nothing. Google it and read all the claims. If I found some, I'd grow it just for giggles. Tend to discount claims as it would be the best kept secret in world. Could be though.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's a succulent that originally comes from the northern part of the world, I think the tundra in zones 1-2 (but you can grow it in zones 1 - 5). I think that I have seen seeds of it offered somewhere, I'll have to look. The roots may take a while to get to their prime, but with succession planting and patience any one of us could get a stable crop. It's just like waiting for a fruit or nut tree to start producing.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A friend of mine grows it, she calls it rose root. It's a stonecrop and I think it takes a while to grow a good potent root, like years.

I grow several stonecrops but they are most likely all cultivated sedums, some not ID'd because there are so many.

I would tell you more but you used the word 'frostbitten'... :p ... :lol:

Well sheesh, I take it back then! It's true though...:p Tell us more!

Any pictures? I'd like to see some of your stonecrops.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well sheesh, I take it back then! It's true though...:p Tell us more!

Any pictures? I'd like to see some of your stonecrops.

:D.. well since you took it back, sort of ...

I'm not sure if my friend uses her rose root, but she's often brewing up something with her herbs. I will chat with her soon.
USDA shows it growing native in NC... I have read zones 1-7, but will thrive better in cool climate. The plants are male or female.

Some good info here ... Alberta crop

My stonecrops are cultivated sedums, although I have a few with no ID ... here's some of them..

Picture 2344.jpg Picture 2409.jpg
CIMG5879.JPG Picture 1537.jpg
CIMG6075.JPG CIMG3428.JPG
CIMG3493.JPG Picture 2340.jpg Picture 2324.jpg

Latest posts