Roma Tomatoes?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a question about roma tomatoes. Every year it seems that i grow San Marzano tomatoes for making tomato sauce, but i'm wondering if Roma tomatoes were better for sauce. I haven't planted Romas in a loooonnng time because i thought the san marzano types were far superior.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've never tried the San Marzanos, but my Romas make tons of tomatoes and the sauce is fabulous.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
one word

"no" I love San Marzanos for sauce and grow them every year for sauce..

other words

I have also tried other paste tomatoes and had wonderful success with the sauce..mixing them is great as well

so my final word would also be YES!!!

go for it ..grow whatever you want and see how it comes out :)

maybe you will find your own secret combo to the worlds best sauce!

btw I tried your bread...freaking awesome!!! thanks!

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I always planted Romas and I also have to admit I always get zillions and zillions of tomatoes. Well into fall I still get some on the small side but they still keep on coming.

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Anybody try Burpees Big Mama's. I bought some of these left over from last year and was going to give them a try.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use them almost soley for salsa! They never made it into an italian sauce yet... however, I was suggested for my climate I use Amish Paste tomatoes instead. I never did get a huge yield off my Roma's here.

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks Vfem, I will try to remember to report in the fall how they did in production and in the jar.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for replying!!

I'll give Romas a try maybe even compare them to the san marzanos.

HiDelight,
I'm glad you enjoyed the bread ;) .

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We grow San Marzanos and love them. Year before last we tried a new variety, can't remember which one. But it was a smaller tomato, and though we liked it fine from the flavor standpoint, we won't get those again.

It is so much easier to process the larger varieties! Depending, of course, on how you do it. We blanch them, skin them, quarter them and cook them down for about a day and a half.

It took us so long to blanch and skin the smaller ones that we didn't get nearly so much into the freezer. There's so much else that also has to be processed for freezing at the time the tomaotes are ripe that we simply couldn't spend enough time to do more tomatoes that year.

Last year we lost all 85 of our plants to the blight, but it's definitely back to San Marzano's this spring!