Ron and Roses

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am very much like HiD as far as roses, I either brought the poor thing home because I knew the store was killing it, that I forgot the name, or never knew the name.

My knowledge range is mostly my personal experiences and I love that there are some folks here with a plethora of information on roses and such.

I have never grown a Moss rose, so this one is very strange to me, I can recognize them from their pictures, but I do not know them personally.

I know roses by: Growth habit; bush-type, rambler, and climber. I know roses by the bloom shape and clustering; floribunda, tea, english.

I am sure I am barely out of Rose Kindergarten and some folks may attribute a beautiful picture in my garden as meaning I am 'knowledgeable', but sadly I am just a gardener with a desert and praying for rain on any given day! :p

I do like the smell of roses, but that has never stopped me from having a scentless or even not-so-nicely scented rose in my garden. One in mind is Austrian Copper...yikes, that rose stinks to high heaven, but it is soooo lovely! The odd thing I find with Austrian Copper is that the leaves smell wonderful, but the blooms will send you a running.

I also have a very special rose that I share with people as often as I can; it is called Rosea Woodsii or Woods Rose. It is a privet rose (a new type name for most folks). Yeah a privet rose. These are not heard of too often, but this particular one is a North American Native. It is found throughout North America, but rarely seen by rose lovers in the garden. It grows tall canes, straight as an arrow, with minimal side shoots. It grows via runners and the runners will reach a considerable height in no time. These are excellent roses for creating a barrier on a far back lot. Especially nice if you have deer problems or bears and you want to prevent them from pushing through onto your property. They are highly thorned. They bloom in pink, the smell is lovely, and the hips are very sweet and abundant.
rosawoodsii.jpg

photo from this site: http://www.cwnp.org/photopgs/rdoc/rowoodsii.html

My latest endeavor has been growing my own roses by way of the hips (as you guys have seen), this is because most grafted roses have a short lifespan and are subject to the hardiness of the parent rootstock. Most of our roses here in New Mexico are either brought in from California rootstock or Texas rootstock. I personally find that the California rootstock hates the dry hot desert and alkaline soil, where as the Texas rootstock is much hardier. I really prefer roses on their own roots and most 'named' roses can be obtained on their own roots.

It is a known fact that a rose on its own rootstock can potentially live for hundreds of years. I once read an article that when the Berlin Wall fell, several unknown/lost roses were found in the public rose gardens. It was reported that some of these roses were mentioned in writings of Shakespeare and were thought to be lost to antiquity. The article went on to say that budgrafts would be sent across the globe in an effort to ensure the safety and continued success of these old roses. (interesting tidbit)

OK, I am going to go take a picture of my Woods Rose as it looks today (this date), and hopefully it will not look to heat stressed or beaten down by this year's lack of rainfall. This privet/bush has now been with me for six years. I adore it! I do keep on the runners and I pot them up for unsuspecting gardeners!
28k0w9u.jpg
this rose is 10ft tall.

Sorry for such a long post, but I think I will rewrite my roses from seed instructions here later for future references.

Thanks for being so patient, and thanks for thinking I know about roses when I am just a rose lover. The compliment is nice but not deserved. :)

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG I can not even imagine a 10ft rose! that is amazing!

I am going to start a rose from seed :)

lovely post Ron! I understand what you are saying ..

but too bad I already think you are smart! :p

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well let's hope there is only one Ron on this forum, because you all know:

"Two Ron's do not make a Right!" LOL :lol::lol:

Huggs,

Ron

ps, InjunJoe, you know this privet rose might be what you also need to deter pesky neighbors!...they especially love to send runners and take over everywhere.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Ron I kind of got that from your first post, not to say I read into things or anything! ;)

And you do know 3 rights does make a left!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ron! :frow

I have a rose, which I know as Rosa Moyeseii "Geranium" (not to be confused with Rose geraniums). It too shoots up straight, very thorny stems & has the same shaped single flowers but in the most glorious red -- these are followed by unusual 'bottle' shaped hips in the Autumn. I have tried to grow it, without success, in all the gardens I've had but in my present garden it is thriving. It only flowers once & is almost the first rose of the year, sharing that honour with "Canary Bird".

I found some photos, have a look:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh Hattie that is so pretty ..I have to stop looking on this board

I need a new roof! unless I can turn it into a living roof and plant roses on it I better stop this!

I keep looking and now my list of
"must haves" has grown ...I am going to take a few days off and go work for a living now!

of course if I can grow roses from hips that will save me a lot and then I can justify the expense of the bare roots

and the fig ...and and and

right?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi again,

Yes, I agree, this rose is a 'must have' and as soon as someone here on TEG gets one, consider yourself my newest buddy! LOL

I love that. My Woodsii rose also is a early bloomer in the Spring and does its flowering all at once. I suspect this Chinese addition to the gardens is also a wild variety. I love how Mother Nature can outdo the best of us with such simplicity!

The hips are very interesting, that alone makes this a show-stopper!

Thank you for sharing,

Ron

homestead holdout

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh boy, if you look at my geography, you may ask me to just go away.... you know I'm in the rose capital... acid soil and you cant even kill them - all kinds.... a rose gardeners own paradise.... I have many.... I wasnt used to that being from Alaska! And I had never even seen a rodie.... Again native to WA. In Alaska rose hips - wild rose, rose hip producing plants are native and I've made the best teas along with a little labrador and fireweed. If you want pics of any of that, just say the word or tell me to go away if your bottom lip is extended and I am just adding to the swelling.... But a peace offering - maybe to lesson that blow.... do you deserty guys have bouganvillia? You can "in my face" with that beauty if you do... Cant do her here!! MISS THAT about Florida! So gorgeous, the way the petals fall and wash over everything with pink and fushia blankets, unreal!!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So after wandering through the entire internet today, I happened across this website:

Rose Nursery for Sale on Hornsby Island, BC

It is only 599,000 dollars LOL !

http://www.oldrosenursery.com/nurserysale.htm

What if we get 600,000 members and each of us become a $1 owner of said property? Then we can settle our needs for sure LOL

Where do I send my dollar? :lol:

Huggs,

Ron

Latest posts