Rose suggestions

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The scent has been bread out of many roses. Make sure that you get them from a good place that specializes in roses.There are many that are not that hardy but that should not be a problem in NC. I wonder if you need some that are more heat tolerant? It is not worth buying something in a big box store to save a few bucks. Get a catalog from one of the big breeders. They will have a lot of descriptions and are very informative. I live near Rose land and they have them set up in their displays by different attributes, As in fragrance, most hardy, size, ect. The ship all over the country.I only buy very hardy now so I don't have to do anything to get them to survive the winter. The Peace rose has been a lifelong favorite of mine. Jackson and Perkins is the old standby company but there are many.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I'll start with J&P and see what I can find. Of course... I'll probably ask y'all a zillion and 1 questions before I finalize my order.. haha

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 lives close to Rose land and the olde stand by ;) used to live near Jackson Perkins.

In fact, I remember when they were just Bear Creek Orchards and their fruit trees were within sight of our fields :). My FIL ran their cold storage. (None of this, including my years in a rose greenhouse, means I know much of anything about growing them outdoors :\.)

Before you criticize me for missed opportunities, you should walk a mile in my shoes. That way, when you do criticize me, you'll be a mile away and have my shoes.

:confused: Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@nachoqtpie first things first. Curb appeal simply means it's nicely landscaped in my book. Honestly if I had any plant that smelled awful it would be gone. Same with anything that I don't like the look of. If I can save it and have a willing person who wants it great! If not it's gone.

Besides this opens up the property for you to put your touch on it. You live there you should want to open windows/doors and bask in how great things look and smell.

Cats right though. Get quality roses. Pics pulled the trigger on a few from a box store but I knew what they were so felt comfortable with that.

With you living in NC you should have a lot of options for your area. Disease resistance is important. However you need to look at things a little differently.

Roses are like dogs. There is a breed/variety out there for everyone who wants one. Trick is doing your homework to decide what you want. For example a beagle & a Brittany are two very different breeds. Even though they are both hunting dogs, and both smaller dogs, they are distinctly different.

You might go in thinking you absolutely want a beagle, but maybe after some homework you realize a pug is really a better fit for you. Keep an open mind

First you need to decide how much work you want to put into them. Things like disease resistance, and how well established a variety are play into that. Old stand bys like Mr Lincoln, Oklahoma, Julia Child, and JFK to name a few are old stand bys for a reason.

Other things to be aware of are blossom type, color, and if they produce in a single flush of blooms, or repeat bloomers or are continuous bloomers. It matters. Again do your homework.

Roses need a little TLC. If you plant them and forget them they will look like it. They will probably be good but they won't be at their best. It's simple enough I prune mine, feed them, and dead head certain ones. It's not all the time, and it's not weeks of work either. It's here and there so it's realistic. In turn they reward me with some utterly gorgeous displays when they show off.

Hope this helps and look forward to what you choose

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Man.. now I just need to figure out WHICH roses that I want!!! I guess I'm going to have to get some books on roses from the library or something. :)

Latest posts