Rose thread + poll!

What are your favorite roses?

• Total voters

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I want to hear about y'all's roses. Photos (your own or internet photos!), stories, anything. I want stories that make me yearn for more rose bushes! I want photos that I can gush over!

So let's see 'em!

I made this a poll to see everyone's favorite types of roses, too. Please let me know if there is a type I forgot to add.

Last edited:

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I bought a bare root bush from Tractor Supply today; it's called "Rio Samba":
28576_4.jpg

I also bought one from Costco a few weeks ago; "Marc Chagall"
Floribunda-Rose-Malerrose-Marc-Chagall-84151.jpg

I adore hybrid tea roses!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have something to say about rambling rose, yes, rambling rose, not climbing ones.

As I have strong climbing rose like NEW DAWN and wild rambling rose like PAUL’S HIMALAYAN MUSK, PHM can become a nightmare if you ignore them for a while. Here 'a while' means a growing season. If you ignore them for more than two growing seasons, they have a very good potentiality to kick you out from your territory. They are true warriors - I stared at those wild laterals and couldn't help to think, are they somehow connected to their nortorious relatve - Rubus armeniacus, the Himalayan blackberry?

Well, I was not yet kicked out, just felt like that when I cut back three bags of canes and laterals yesterday, huuuu.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This picture was posted in July of 2013 . And no, I never sprayed it in the Fall nor ever, 3 times during the growing season again. Over reacting to losing the blooms that one season. Yes, I spray it once every year with sulfur.

Screenshot_20240305_035537_Chrome.jpg
It was here when we arrived and that has now been nearly 30 years ago. I gave it the trellis to climb on.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
roses were in the small front garden and i was the only one who took care of them that was me from about age 8 until i left for college. i could fit about a dozen small plants in there. i grew many varieties which names i'll not remember now. peace roses and the teas were Mom's favorites and i gave many flowers away through the years to all the neighborhood Moms.

fast forward 15 years and Mom and ex-step-dad built this place. unsuited for hybrids, but we tried planting 30 rose bushes but they were dead within a few years. too wet and dewy here and the soil is heavy clay so they didn't like that much either.

in recent years we had some root stock rescues and various other roses that were growing along the back edge of the fenced gardens. anything that grew through the fence the deer ate. Mom decided they were too much for her to keep up so they've been removed. they were sometimes flowering but mostly thorns and foliage. black spot is tough on them here.

Latest posts