Rosemary

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey! OK so my new obsession is rosemary. I'm decently sure that I can't just grow it in the ground here, due to the harsh winters. So, how big a container should I use, and would it be ok to store it in the insulated garage in the winter for a "dormant" period? I have many steps into my house and doubt anyone would lug a big pot in and out for me...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Rosemary for the first time this year. I bought it as a small transplant. By the time I harvested some for drying and fall hit, it was still a very manageable size. I dug it up and brought it inside. So far, it is still alive. It seems to take quite a bit of water. I have it in a sunny window. Not sure if it will make until spring- but I will keep you posted. I have seen pics of peoples huge rosemary plants- I am guessing that in our zone, they just don't have time to grow that big...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep 10" pots of rosemary thru the winter.

The 1st few winters, they stayed on the floor of my basement. That room is probably about 55F at the coldest. If the sun shines during the winter afternoon, sunlight falls on that part of the floor for an hour, or so.

It survived reasonably well there altho' the last winter it was in the basement, I probably lost half of the plants :(.

I felt it needed another location. For the last 3 or 4 winters, the rosemary has been on the floor of my unheated greenhouse. On nights when the outside temperature is forecast to fall to 15 or below, the plants are covered with a quilt - actually, a folded vinyl tablecloth, now. If the temperature won't be above 15 - the plants will stay covered thru the day. I just needed something to guide me and chose the 15 outside temperature. It has worked. The fabric against the concrete foundation has frozen at times but still seems to keep the pots from freezing. Whatever the case, no plants have been lost since I've started doing this.

The rosemary had some problem with mildew last spring. Probably, that old quilt would be a better choice than the tablecloth. The plants came out of that after a couple weeks in the fresh air.

Steve

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I went to an aquaintences house last November and she had a huge Rosemary plant in her master bedroom. The plant itself looked like a bush about 3 ft tall. She brings it outside when she can and winters it over inside. Obviously, hers really likes the set up! Just a side note. She cooks popcorn the old fashioned way, in a pan with oil. While she is heating the oil up, she puts some fresh rosemary in the pot and then the popcorn to cook. Oh my! It is soooo good!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
She cooks popcorn the old fashioned way, in a pan with oil. While she is heating the oil up, she puts some fresh rosemary in the pot and then the popcorn to cook. Oh my! It is soooo good!
That sounds wonderful!!! I'll have to try that!

Latest posts